With increased reliability and outstanding performance, Infineon’s CoolSET™ AC-DC integrated power stages are designed to offer additional protection to increase system robustness. To achieve fast start-up performance, the 5th generation controller utilizes the high voltage power supply integrated circuit together with an internal AC-DC switching regulator to operate the start-up sequence in a safe and rapid manner, which is commonly known as cascode configuration.
With the latest CoolSET™ 5th generation flyback controller with integrated MOSFET, Infineon introduces AC-DC integrated power stages in fixed frequency and quasi resonant switching scheme. The products show high-performance with the integration of the latest 700V and 800V CoolMOS™ P7 power MOSFET family in both DIP-7 and DSO-12 packages. Both fixed frequency and quasi-resonant switching scheme have been enhanced from prior generation to offer greater performance and increase robustness.
Infineon’s AC-DC integrated Power Stage product portfolio includes the Fixed Frequency CoolSET™ and Quasi Resonant CoolSET™ range of products. Integrated with 700V and 800V avalanche rugged CoolMOS™ P7 family, the CoolSET™ product range is available in both through-hole and SMD packages and thereby eliminates the need of a heatsink and reduces BOM count with a small footprint. The Quasi Resonant CoolSET™ is available in both 2nd and 5th generation configurations while the range of Fixed Frequency CoolSET™ products are available in 3rd and 5th generation configurations.
The 5th generation CoolSET™ power supply integrated circuit is targeted for SMPS applications such as auxiliary power supply for home appliances (e.g. washing machines, refrigerators and air-condition), set-top-boxes, LCD/LED monitors, telecom/server, and general purpose power supply up to a maximum output power of 43W.
Common features of 5th generation of CoolSET™ are:
- Integrated with 700V and 800V avalanche rugged CoolMOS™ P7 family
- Fast and robust start-up operation with cascode configuration
- Multi-level selectable entry/exit active burst mode profile
- Built-in digital soft-start
- Cycle by cycle peak current limitation
- Digital frequency reduction with decreasing load for higher efficiency
- VCC pin short to ground protection
- OLP, output short, OTP with hysteresis and VCC over/under voltage protection
- Auto-restart for all protection features