3300W CCM totem pole PFC - 3300 W solution featuring CoolMOS™ and CoolSiC™
This platform is a system solution for a bridgeless totem-pole power factor corrector (PFC) in continuous conduction mode (CCM) implemented with 600 V CoolMOS™ CFD7. The EVAL_3K3W_TP_PFC_CC is enabled by Infineon’s CoolMOS™ superjunction power MOSFETs as well as isolated drivers and XMC™ microcontroller.
This bridgeless totem-pole PFC platformis intended for applications that require high efficiency (≈99 %) and high power density (92 W/in³) such as high-end servers and telecom. The totem-pole implemented in EVAL_3K3W_TP_PFC_CC board operates in continuous conduction mode (CCM) at 65 kHz with CoolMOS™ superjunction MOSFETS and digital control on Infineon XMC™ 1000 series microcontroller. This system solution is available as Hardware Board or Reference Design.
Summary of Features
- Efficiency close to 99 %
- Best in class price-performance ratio
- Compact form factor (92 W/in³)
- Low component count
When operating a totem pole PFC in continuous conduction mode (CCM), usually, SJ MOSFETs cannot be used due to the high output capacitance charge (Qoss) required to charge and discharge the Coss of the devices together with the significant high reverse recovery losses of the intrinsic body diode of the Si SJ MOSFETs. By “pre charging” the SJ MOSFET, the losses associated to its Qoss and the reverse recovery charge (Qrr) are drastically reduced, since those charges are provided from a low voltage source. As a result, the commutation losses in the silicon SJ MOSFETs are greatly reduced and continuous hard-commutation in the normal CCM operation of the totem pole PFC is feasible.
- 600 V CoolMOS™ CFD7 superjunction MOSFET
- 600 V CoolMOS ™ S7 superjunction MOSFET
- 100 V OptiMOS™ power MOSFET
- CoolSiC™ Schottky diode 650V G6
- Dual-channel isolated Gate Driver IC
- Single-channel low side Gate Driver IC
- Quasi-resonant flyback PWM controller
- 950 V CoolMOS™ P7 superjunction MOSFET
- Small signal N-channel MOSFET
- 32-bit XMC™ microcontroller with ARM® Cortex® - M0