XENSIV™ 24GHz radar demo platform for range measurements & 1D tracking of humans with the BGT24LTR11 MMIC
The Distance2GoL radar system is a demo platform for Infineon’s 24GHz BGT24LTR11 radar transceiver. The Distance2GoL consists of two boards – the microcontroller board with the XMC4700 (RADAR BB XMC4700) and a radar frontend board (BGT24LTR11 Shield), which features a 4x1 array antenna for the transmitter and receiver sections. It is shielded with a metal cover and absorber material to get the best RF performance.
The heart of the Distance2GoL module is the highly integrated BGT24LTR11 MMIC, which is a radar transceiver operating from 24.00 to 24.25 GHz. In order to keep the output frequency within this ISM band, this demo board features a software-based closed loop. Such an implementation eliminates the need for an external hardware PLL and makes it a low cost and low powers solution.
The Distance2GoL isa low-power solution for motion sensing and range detection with 24 GHz radar for a human target. It additionally allows direction of movement detection, proximity sensing as well as real presence sensing. The smart tracking algorithm enables reliable one-dimensional tracking of a human target despite possible clutter or stationary objects around. Hence, the Distance2GoL is suitable forindoor as well as outdoor applications.
Summary of Features
- User configurable detection range up to 15 m for a human target
- Detects distance and velocity of closest human or a moving target
- Low power consumption due to duty cycling options
- Compatible with Arduino for ease of use and prototyping
- Micro-strip patch antennas with 10 dBi gain and 29°/80° field of view
- Software-controlled FMCW for power saving, reduced costs and less PCB space
- Smart algorithm enables reliable one-dimensional tracking of a human target
- Operates in harsh environments and detects through non-metallic materials
- Compliant with FCC & ETSI regulations
- Compatible with Arduino for ease of use and fast prototyping
- Lighting systems & lighting control (Indoor & Outdoor)
- Smart buildings
- Smart Home devices (e.g. thermostats, smoke detectors, smart speakers)
- Smart Home security systems from commercial surveillance cameras to low-power IP cameras
- HVAC products like smart room air conditioners
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) such as drones – Altimeter for landing control, collision avoidance
- Smart sanitary facilities (e.g. Smart Toilets)
- Automated door openers