Miller clamp function board for CoolSiC™ MOSFET 1200 V in TO-247 3-/4-pin evaluation platform
This Reference Board is the first drive card of the CoolSiC™ MOSFET 1200 V evaluation platform and it contains the EiceDRIVER™ 1EDC Compact 1EDC20I12MH with an integrated active Miller clamp preventing parasitic turn-on. The second drive card includes the EiceDRIVER™ 1EDC Compact 1EDC60H12AH allowing a bipolar supply, where VCC2 is +15 V and GND2 is negative.
The CoolSiC™ MOSFET 1200 V evaluation platform including EiceDRIVER™ gate driver IC was developed to show the driving options of the silicon carbide CoolSiC™ MOSFET in TO247 3-pin and 4-pin. To show these options, the design was split into one motherboard and currently, two drive cards. The modular approach was chosen to allow the platform to be expanded with new drive cards in the future. The motherboard was designed for a maximum voltage of 800 V and a maximum pulsed current of 130 A. More drive cards with different driver ICs and CoolSiC™ MOSFETs are planned.
Summary of Features
- VCC2 gate drive voltage supply from -5 V to +20 V
- VCC1 supply fixed at +5 V
- Gate connection via SMA-BNC connector
- Current measurement via optional Coaxialshunt
- Optimized commutation loop
- External load inductor connection
- Heatsink design allows testing at various temperatures
- Customer can use the drivecard layout as a reference for their own designs
- It is possible to benchmark all TO-247 3-pin and 4-pin packages (independent from base material technology or manufacturer)
- A modular approach of the motherboard allows future extensions of the platform