R 48V BATT SWITCH10 48V Battery switch with core-less hall based sensor and shunt current measurement – Reference Design
This reference board demonstrates an implementation of an air-cooled high current protection switch up to 300A for automotive 48 V batteries.
The design of this switch revolves around the 2 channel MOSFET gate driver 2ED4820-EM. Channel A is used to control the Power MOSFETs (IAUT300N08S5N011) for (dis-)connecting the battery. Channel B drives the MOSFETs (IAUZ40N10S5N130) for the DC-link pre-charge circuit.
In order to improve functional safety, there are two diverse methods implemented for current monitoring and overcurrent protection – shunt based on the low-side and core-less hall based current sensing with the TLE4972-AE35D5 on the high-side.
The switch is controlled by an XMC4700 microcontroller kit with a USB port. The reference board can be configured and operated via a command-line interface.
Summary of Features
- Bidirectional 48 V battery protection switch for continuous currents up to 300 A
- Two high-side output channels in common source back to back MOSFET structure
- Pre-charge path for DC-Link capacitors
- Passive freewheeling (active freewheeling optional)
- Shunt based current monitoring on low-side
- Hall based current monitoring on high-side
- Over-current protection with programmable thresholds
- Extensive diagnostics