GMR-based angle sensor for angular position sensing in automotive applications
The TLE5012B is a 360° angle sensor that detects the orientation of a magnetic field. This is achieved by measuring sine and cosine angle components with monolithic integrated Giant Magneto Resistance (iGMR) elements. These raw signals (sine and cosine) are digitally processed internally to calculate the angle orientation of the magnetic field (magnet). The TLE5012B is a pre-calibrated sensor. The calibration parameters are stored in laser fuses. At start-up the values of the fuses are written into flip-flops, where these values can be changed by the application-specific parameters. Further precision of the angle measurement over a wide temperature range and a long lifetime can be improved by enabling an optional internal autocalibration algorithm. Data communications are accomplished with a bi-directional Synchronous Serial Communication (SSC) that is SPI-compatible. The sensor configuration is stored in registers, which are accessible by the SSC interface. Additionally four other interfaces are available with the TLE5012B: Pulse-Width-Modulation (PWM) Protocol, Short-PWM-Code (SPC) Protocol, Hall Switch Mode (HSM) and Incremental Interface (IIF). These interfaces can be used in parallel with SSC or alone. Pre-configured sensor derivates with different interface settings are available.
Online diagnostic functions are provided to ensure reliable operation.
Summary of Features:
- Giant Magneto Resistance (GMR)-based principle
- Integrated magnetic field sensing for angle measurement
- 360° angle measurement with revolution counter and angle speed measurement
- Two separate highly accurate single bit SD-ADC
- 15 bit representation of absolute angle value on the output (resolution of 0.01°)
- 16 bit representation of sine / cosine values on the interface
- Max. 1.0° angle error over lifetime and temperature-range with activated auto-calibration
- Bi-directional SSC Interface up to 8 Mbit/s
- Supports Safety Integrity Level (SIL) with diagnostic functions and status information
- Interfaces: SSC, PWM, Incremental Interface (IIF), Hall Switch Mode (HSM), Short PWM Code (SPC, based on SENT protocol defined in SAE J2716)
- Output pins can be configured (programmed or pre-configured) as push-pull or open-drain
- Bus mode operation of multiple sensors on one line is possible with SSC or SPC interface
- 0.25 µm CMOS technology
- Automotive qualified: -40°C to 150°C (junction temperature)
- ESD > 4 kV (HBM)
- RoHS compliant (Pb-free package)
- Test vectors switchable to ADC input (activated via SSC interface)
- Inversion or combination of filter input streams (activated via SSC interface)
- Data transmission check via 8-bit Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) for SSC communication and 4-bit CRC nibble for SPC interface
- Built-in Self-test (BIST) routines for ISM, CORDIC, CCU, ADCs run at startup
- Two independent active interfaces possible
- Overvoltage and undervoltage detection
- Electrical commutated motor (e.g. used in Electric Power Steering (EPS))
- Rotary switches
- Steering angle measurements
- General angular sensing
Find an answer to your question
Technical Assistance Center (TAC)
Infineon welcomes your comments and questions.
If you have any questions concerning our products, please fill out the following form. Your inquiry will be sent to the appropriate specialist who will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
You will receive a confirmation E-mail to validate your address in our system. Any attached file to the reply which will help to support your inquiry is highly appreciated.