Single-stage flyback LED controller for constant voltage output
The ICL8820 is a single-stage flyback LED controller for constant voltage output, tailored for LED lighting applications. With its benchmarking performance for power factor correction and total harmonic distortion at full-load and low-load conditions, ICL8820 enables window drivers and platform designs. Furthermore, the IC combines optimum efficiency and low EMI without compromising light quality.
Summary of Features
- Optimized as secondary-side-regulated (SSR) constant voltage (CV) output flyback controller, also well suited for PSR
- Power factor (PF) > 0.9 and THD < 10% across a wide load range (AC input up to 277Vrms)
- Integrated burst mode enables a very low stand-by power < 100mW
- Built-in jitter function eases EMI certification without additional circuitry
- Critical conduction mode and quasi-resonant mode with smart valley hopping
- External start-up circuit control signal
- Comprehensive set of protections (OVP, OCP, etc.)
- Low BOM for wide range of applications with dual stage topologies and PFC functionality
- Enables platform design and window drivers
- Ideally suited for smart lighting applications in connection with microcontrollers
- Eases design of emergency lighting LED drivers at low cost and effort
- Optimum efficiency and low EMI at low BOM without compromising light quality
- Cost-effective and bottom-up design
- Flexibility and low BOM for many applications
Its comprehensive set of protection features and bottom-up design ensure easy design-in and require a minimum number of external components, thus having a perfect price/performance ratio. The controller is optimized as a secondary-side regulated (SSR) constant voltage (CV) output flyback controller and is also well suited for primary-side regulation (PSR). Therefore, ICL8820 ensures flexibility for many applications.
ICL8820 is the fully-featured variant of the ICL88xx family being additionally equipped with an integrated burst mode and jitter function. Thanks to the integrated burst mode, the controller enables a very low stand-by power of < 100mW. Consequently, more power budget for additional components can be used.
ICL8820 is ideally suited for smart lighting applications in connection with microcontrollers. The built-in jitter function eases EMI certification without additional circuitry and thus, ICL8820 also eases the design of emergency lighting LED drivers at low cost and effort.
To scale the features according to your application needs check out