Driving giGaNtic performance in adapters and chargers – industry’s first PFC + hybrid flyback combo IC
The XDP™ digital power XDPS2221 is a highly integrated device combining both PFC boost and hybrid flyback (HFB) (asymmetrical half-bridge as from literature) conversion features. The high level of integration allows for seamless operation as well as optimal control of the two conversion stages, delivering class-leading performance.
This innovative controller enables high power density designs and high system efficiency meeting international regulatory standards on power efficiency (such as EU CoC Version 5 Tier 2 and DoE Level VI) as well as an effective control of the wide output voltage for the latest USB-PD extended power range (EPR) standard V3.1. It is very well suited to drive GaN-based devices, such as Infineon’s CoolGaN™ switches.
The XDPS2221 controller is integrated with a high-side driver coupled with a coreless transformer and a low-side driver driving the high- and the low-side switches of the HFB stage, as well as a driver for the PFC switch. It enables a simple system structure out of the traditional flyback topology, but comes with the performance of a resonant half-bridge converter. The integrated, multi-mode PFC controller utilizes a quasi-resonant switching scheme, which operates in critical conduction mode and ensures high efficiency across different line input and load conditions. In addition, a 600 V start-up cell and integrated x-cap discharge features offer big BOM savings. A comprehensive suite of protection offers a reliable operation under all operating conditions.
Besides these, the controller has an embedded digital core and supports system fine-tuning by configurable parameters. This allows taking this controller as a development platform for different applications and/or power levels and makes the life of power system design engineers easier.
- IEC62368-1 certified active X-cap discharge function
- High-performance multi-mode PFC with critical conduction mode operation
- High efficiency multi-mode hybrid-flyback topology with adaptive resonant period
- Supports USB-PD standard V3.1 extended power range (EPR) with wide output voltage up to 28 V (36 V/ 48 V to be covered by XDPS2222 available in Q2/2023)
- Highly integrated combo controller for the PFC and hybrid flyback topology, including a 600 V start-up cell with X-cap discharge functionality
- DSO-14 (150-mil) package
- Low no-load input standby power performance
- Low BOM cost and count
- Low standby and high efficiency across various line/load conditions
- High power density and high switching frequency
- Easily configurable
- Optimization via GUI tools
- Adapters and chargers
- with ultra-high power density
- with extended power range (EPR)