24V BATT SWITCH DEMO
The 24 V ADR Switch Demonstrator shows a semiconductor based solution of a 24 V battery master switch for trucks as required by the ADR regulation (European Agreement Concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road).
The demonstrator consists of eight low ohmic MOSFETs connected in parallel and mounted on a structured copper IMS (insulated metal substrate) board together with a gate driver circuit to switch those MOSFETs on and off. In order to protect the MOSFETs against excessive overvoltage there are four transient voltage suppressor diodes implemented at the bottom side of the board.
Meeting market demands for master switches
Smaller is better here, as a small battery disconnect switch solution is easier to integrate, costs less and requires less development effort. Ideal dimensions measure just 100 mm x 50 mm. Battery switch customers also look for designs with various specifications, such as:
- Thickness: 1.3 mm
- Electrical resistance: 60 µOhm
- Thermal resistance (non-isolated version): 0.1 K/W
- Thermal resistance (isolated version): ~ 0.2 K/W
- No. of copper-filled laser vias per MOSFET: 300
- RDS(on) from terminal to terminal: 110 µOhm
- Unidirectional battery disconnection
- Safety applications such as EPS, engine fan, chassis control etc.
- Replacement of mechanical Relay
- High current control load