ToF 3D Image Sensors for Consumer
REAL3™ 3D image sensor based on Infineon ToF (Time-of-Flight) technology - opens up exciting new use cases in consumer and industrial applications
Infineon’s REAL3™ image sensor family opens up a completely new world of exciting applications for devices deployed in consumer and industrial markets, while also setting new performance and security benchmarks for existing use cases.
The REAL3™ image sensors are based on Infineon ToF (Time-of-Flight), which is the most advanced vision sensing technology in the world today and is already powering the smallest depth-sensing 3D camera modules on the market.
Infineon’s REAL3™ 3D image sensor delivers depth data in real time with a capture speed in the order of milliseconds; it is contact-less, fast and robust to ambient lightning conditions. Thanks to its patented technology for suppression of background illumination (SBI), REAL3™ supports camera deployments under all ambient light conditions. REAL3™ time-of-flight image sensors allow electronic devices to build a 3-dimensional map of the scene in front of the electronic gadget – whether that be a room, a moving or static object or a person – and translate that map to the digital world in real time. Advanced algorithms use that data to measure distance and size and to track motion and movements.
In addition, the single-chip REAL3™ imager brings a third dimension to biometric identification, to 3D scanning and to hand gesture and body tracking. Outstanding performance in 3D computational photography and augmented reality applications revolutionize the user experience.
The REAL3™ product portfolio for consumer and industrial applications comprises dedicated single-chip 3D image sensors delivered in bare die form:
|IRS2877C||volume production||Bare die||307.2k||640 x 480||940 nm||smartphone||yes|
|IRS2381C||volume production||Bare die||38,5k||224 x 172||940 nm||smartphone/
|IRS1645C||volume production||Bare die||38,5k||224 x 172||850 nm||robotics||yes|
The REAL3™ product portfolio also comprises imagers for automotive applications.
If you are interested in our REAL3™ product portfolio please contact our Support Center.
Press releases & market news
Gaming, virtual e-Commerce, 3D online education: Augmented Reality (AR) applications with three-dimensional depth sensors link the real with the digital world and are strongly demanded. Infineon Technologies AG and pmdtechnologies developed a 3D depth sensor based on the Time of Flight (ToF)-technology which outperforms other solutions in the market and aims for target applications that offer a wider spectrum of innovative consumer usability. The 3D sensor market in smartphones for rear side cameras is expected to grow up to more than 500 million units per year until 2024. Read more
- Press release March 5, 2020: Infineon collaborates with Qualcomm to enable high-quality standard solution for 3D authentication
Press release Feb 19, 2020 Tokyo (Japan): Sharp’s 5G Smart Phone has video with background photo and video bokeh-effect uses Infineon REAL3™ 3D Image Sensor
- Press release Jan 06, 2020: Infineon presents the world´s smallest 3D image sensor for face authentification and photo effects on smartphones
- Market news May 23, 2019: Embedded Vision Alliance awards REAL3 image sensor as “Product of the Year”
- Press release Feb 25, 2019: REAL3™ Time-of-Flight image sensor: fourth generation with HVGA resolution for high quality photo effects
- Press release Feb 24, 2019: Featuring Infineon’s Time-of-Flight technology, LG’s smartphone G8ThinQ securely recognizes your face
- Press release Feb 7, 2019: With Infineon’s REAL3™ Image Sensor Chip, LG Offers Enhanced Security and Depth Measuring Selfie Camera
- Press release Jan 5, 2018: 3D image sensor - Infineon enables easy smartphone unlock by face recognition
3D ToF reference camera modules
To help you evaluate REAL3™ time-of-flight technology, we have developed various 3D reference cameras. The CamBoard pico family is designed by our development partner pmdtechnologies. These reference cameras come with a powerful SDK providing a high-quality depth map for evaluation and application software development. They feature flexible working ranges and frame rates, and support Windows, Android and MacOS. For further details and to order one of these reference cameras, please visit http://pmdtec.com/picofamily/
- Personal consumer electronics
- Mobile phones and wearables
- Head-mounted devices
- Domestic and professional service robots
- Vacuuming and wet cleaning robots
- Edutainment, social and entertainment robots
- Home security and monitoring systems
- Area surveillance
- People/object counting and tracking
In addition to consumer applications, REAL3™ image sensors delivering 3D depth data are also beneficial for a growing range of industrial equipment featuring modern vision systems. Due to the high diversity of such applications and their extremely specific requirements, we deliver these solutions through our established ToF camera module makers and camera design house partners only. For further information, please contact your closest Infineon Sales representative.