Automotive motor control 12V
Comprehensive motor control offerings including toolchain enable cost and energy-effective motor control for automotive applications.
Whatever you touch in a car, there is an electric motor close by. Brushed DC motors are easy to control and often serve as actuators with an overall short operating time. Torque control down to zero speed is easy to achieve.
Brushless DC (BLDC) motors have less wear but need a complex control algorithm and, therefore, higher computing power than a DC motor drive. BLDC motors are most suitable for applications demanding long-term continuous duty like fuel pumps.
Discover how Infineon offers the most complete range of solutions for motor control.
Highly integrated solution - Infineon Embedded Power ICs - System-on-Chip motor control
Infineon Embedded Power ICs are specifically designed to enable mechatronic motor control solutions for a range of motor control applications in which a small package form factor and a minimum number of external components are essential. Such applications include window lift, sunroof, wiper, fuel pump, engine cooling fan, HVAC fans, and water pumps, to name but a few.
Produced on Infineon’s first-in-industry automotive-qualified Smart Power technologies, the Infineon Embedded Power System-on-Chip (SoC) solutions offer an unmatched level of integration of all functions required to sense, control and actuate a motor. The Infineon Embedded Power ICs integrate on a single die the microcontroller, the non-volatile flash memory, the analog and mixed-signal peripherals, the communication interfaces along with the driving stages needed for either relay, half-bridge or full-bridge DC and BLDC motor applications.
- Enable cost and board space improvements
- Enabling high levels of system reliability
- Support multiple and flexible designs with minimal effort
Medium-integrated solutions for motor control
The medium-integrated devices combine gate-drivers with the MOSFET power stage in a single package. A small footprint on the PCB, diagnostic feedback and protection add to the benefits of the integration. Infineon’s portfolio comprises Single-Half-Bridges, Multi-Half-Bridges, and Full- or H-Bridges.
The integrated high-current motor drivers family NovalithIC™ provides a complete low-ohmic-protected half-bridge in a single package. It can be combined with an additional NovalithIC™ to create an H-bridge or 3-phase bridge as well. The NovalithIC™ family has the capability to switch high-frequency PWM while providing overcurrent, overvoltage and overtemperature protection.
- Integrated half-bridge
- PWM capability
- Logic-level input: Connects directly to MCU
- Current limitation for reduced power dissipation & short-circuit protection
- Adjustable slew rates for optimized EMI
- Current sense capability
- Overtemperature shut down
- Integrated dead-time generation
The TLE94xyz are protected half-bridge drivers designed for automotive motion control applications such as small DC motors for flaps in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC), as well as mirror adjustment and fold. All devices can drive DC motor loads up to 0.9 A per output in cascaded or parallel operation. They provide a diagnosis of short circuit, open load, power supply failure, and overtemperature for each half-bridge to ensure safe operation in HVAC or other systems.
- 3-,4-,6,-,8-,10,-12-half-bridges with integrated output staged and PWM
- 16-bit SPI or direct inputs for control and diagnosis
- Voltage supply range: 5.5-20 V
- Adjustable open-load threshold for two outputs
- Variable driving schemes for up to 11 motors
- Diagnosis of each output via SPI
- Device operates down to 5.5 V
- OUT 1 and 2 optimizes for driving HS loads
- Adjustable slew rates for optimized EMI
Full- or H-bridge
TLE9201SG and TLE9202ED are general-purpose 6A H-Bridges designed for the control of small DC motors and inductive loads. They meet the harsh automotive environmental conditions and are qualified in accordance with the AEC-Q100 standard.
- Operational voltage: 4.5 V to 28 V
- Fully 3.3/5.5 V compatible logic inputs
- Low standby current
- Short-circuit and overtemperature protection
- VS undervoltage protection
- Open-load detection in ON and OFF state
System Basis Chip (SBC)
The System Basis Chips (SBC) offer high integration and high performance at an optimized system cost for motor control applications. This reduces the required board space by 80 percent, also lowers energy consumption through low-power modes offering the lowest quiescent current in the market. In addition, SBCs increase system reliability by reducing component count, integrating safety features, and lowering the bill of materials.
- Selectable 5 V or 3.3 V main power supply
- CAN FD (up to 5 Mbit/s) and up to two LIN transceivers (TLE926x), › CAN Partial Networking as an option
- Compelling four high-side switches 7 Ω typ. (TLE926x)
- Effective external load switch control through integrated charge pump (TLE9461/71) that can drive an external N-FET
- Integrated diagnostics and supervision features, supporting ECU functional safety concepts with under-voltage monitoring, window watchdog with reset, fail-safe operating mode, fail-safe outputs and more
- Extends battery life through low-power modes and the lowest quiescent current in the market
- Increased system reliability by reducing component count
- Safely supply off-board loads (e.g., sensors) with protected low-drop voltage regulators
DC motors part 1
Go over the DC brush motor, its structure and function.
DC motors part 2
Dive deeper into the function of the brushed DC motor and learn about relevant applications of this motor type.
Field oriented control
Get an overview about the basic principle of field oriented control (FOC).
Drive circuits part 1
Learn which electronic components are required and how to use them to drive an AC or DC motor.
Drive circuits part 2
Learn about drive circuits for AC motor operations.
Drive circuits part 3
Explore how to provide a variable motor supply despite having a fixed supply voltage.