48 V systems for EVs & mild hybrids
48 V solutions in electric and mild hybrid vehicles: Cutting costs without sacrificing power
Please choose a subcategory
In the pursuit of zero CO₂ emissions, efficient hybridization and electrification of mobility is crucial. Infineon stands for the introduction of the 48 V power supply and already offers an extensive application and product portfolio for 48 V solutions in electric and mild hybrid cars. Traditionally, battery electric vehicles (BEVs) have been equipped with a high-voltage (HV) power supply and a 12 V power supply. With the increasing number of new BEV platforms, the stage is set for incorporating a 48 V rail as a third voltage rail in the power distribution system (PDS).
48 V as replacement for 12 V power supply
This solution has the potential for overall savings across the vehicle ecosystem — for passenger cars as well as commercial and agricultural vehicles. As the market leader in automotive semiconductor solutions, we work with our customers to develop a holistic approach across the entire vehicle usage pattern and parameter range. Discover Infineon's comprehensive 48 V system portfolio for many applications in electric vehicles.
48 V as third voltage rail in electric cars
Lower cost, reduced harness weight and simplified mounting or heat sink design are one of the main goals for 48 V add-on applications in electric vehicles. With our comprehensive chipset solutions, our customers can realize a cost potential of up to 30% at vehicle system level based on current Si /SiC and future GaN-technologies.
Efficient 48 V mild hybrid systems
48 V in mild hybrid electric vehicles (MHEV) will pave the way for meeting stricter regulations for CO₂ emissions (e.g. Euro7) and enabling higher efficiency for internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles. With more than 7 years of experience in supplying 48 V applications for the automotive industry, we support our customers with outstanding system knowledge. Discover our comprehensive chipset solutions for 48 V mild hybrid systems.
Discover Infineon's comprehensive 48 V portfolio for many applications:
In this training you will:
- Know more about Infineon’s wide MOSFET selection for 48 V mild-hybrid electric vehicle, or MHEV, applications
- Understand why and how Infineon is strengthening its position in the 40 V MOSFET market, and be familiar with Infineon’s newest 60 V MOSFETs
In this training you will:
- Learn about the transition from fule injection combustion engine to full battery electric vehicles and the main 48V powered applications.
- Additionally get an overview about Infineon’s comprehensive MOSFET portfolio for 48 V applications and their support material.
- Have an overview of the converters needed in electric vehicles.
- Analyze the 2-quadrant converter topology in buck and boost mode and the half-bridge converter with center tap rectification topology.