MOTIX™ | Automotive motor control 12V
Comprehensive motor control offerings by MOTIX™ including toolchain enable cost and energy-effective motor control for automotive applications.
Whatever you touch in a car, there is an electric motor close by. Brushed DC motors are easy to control and often serve as actuators with an overall short operating time. Torque control down to zero speed is easy to achieve.
Brushless DC (BLDC) motors have less wear but need a complex control algorithm and, therefore, higher computing power than a DC motor drive. BLDC motors are most suitable for applications demanding long-term continuous duty like fuel pumps.
Discover the most complete range of MOTIX™ low-voltage motor control solutions from Infineon for numerous automotive applications.
Infineon's low integrated solutions give you flexibility. Infineon’s portfolio comprises MOTIX™ Multi MOSFET Driver IC and gate driver IC.
Multi MOSFET Driver IC:
Infineon’s TLE9210x is a family of MOTIX™ Multi MOSFET Driver ICs, designed to control up to eight half-bridges (up to 16 n-channel MOSFETs) with one packaged device.
- Reduced design-in effort
- High flexibility and reliability
3-Phase gate driver ICs:
Infineon's automotive-qualified gate driver ICs, TLE9180D-21QK and TLE9180D-31QK, are dedicated to control 6 external N-channel MOSFETs forming an inverter for high current 3 phase motor drives application in the automotive sector. Three integrated current sense amplifier for shunt signal conditioning is integrated. The IC can operate at 12V, 24V and 48V battery voltage domains.
- Suitable for 12 V, 24 V and 48 V battery voltages
- Integrated load current measurement
- Detailed diagnosis supports safety-relevant use cases
- Limp home mode
The medium-integrated devices combine gate-drivers with the MOSFET power stage in a single package. A small footprint on the PCB, diagnostic feedback and protection adds to the benefits of the integration. Infineon’s portfolio comprises single half-bridge ICs, multi half-bridge ICs, and full-bridge ICs.
MOTIX™ Single half-bridge ICs
The integrated high-current motor drivers family MOTIX™ single half-bridge ICs (NovalithIC™)provides a complete low-ohmic-protected half-bridge in a single package. It can be combined with an additional NovalithIC™ to create an H-bridge or 3-phase bridge as well. The MOTIX™ single half-bridge ICs (NovalithIC™) family has the capability to switch high-frequency PWM while providing overcurrent, overvoltage and overtemperature protection.
- Integrated half-bridge
- PWM capability
- Logic-level input: Connects directly to MCU
- Current limitation for reduced power dissipation & short-circuit protection
- Adjustable slew rates for optimized EMI
- Current sense capability
- Overtemperature shut down
- Integrated dead-time generation
MOTIX™ Multi half-bridge ICs
The TLE94xyz are protected half-bridge drivers designed for automotive motion control applications such as small DC motors for flaps in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC), as well as mirror adjustment and fold. All devices can drive DC motor loads up to 0.9 A per output in cascaded or parallel operation. They provide a diagnosis of short circuit, open load, power supply failure, and overtemperature for each half-bridge to ensure safe operation in HVAC or other systems.
- 3-,4-,6,-,8-,10,-12-half-bridges with integrated output staged and PWM
- 16-bit SPI or direct inputs for control and diagnosis
- Voltage supply range: 5.5-20 V
- Adjustable open-load threshold for two outputs
- Variable driving schemes for up to 11 motors
- Diagnosis of each output via SPI
- Device operates down to 5.5 V
- OUT 1 and 2 optimizes for driving HS loads
- Adjustable slew rates for optimized EMI
MOTIX™ Full-bridge driver ICs
TLE9201SG is a general purpose 6A H-Bridge for industrial and automotive applications, designed for the control of small DC motors and inductive loads. It meets the harsh automotive environmental conditions and it is qualified in accordance with the AEC-Q100 standard.
- Operational voltage: 4.5 V to 28 V
- Fully 3.3/5.5 V compatible logic inputs
- Low standby current
- Short-circuit and overtemperature protection
- VS undervoltage protection
- Open-load detection in ON and OFF state
The medium-high integrated device,MOTIX™ Motor System IC, combines gate drivers with power and communication supply.
MOTIX™ Motor System IC
Infineon’s Motor System IC family is the world’s first IC to combine DC and BLDC motor control with functionalities such as power supply, CAN FD and LIN. All devices of the MOTIX™ Motor System IC family feature a low-dropout voltage regulator with an output current of 250 mA/5 V and they are available in a VQFN-48 (7 x 7 mm) package.
Target applications involve Automotive DC Motor Control, for example seat control modules, power lift gate, sunroof module, seatbelt pretensioner as well as BLDC Motor Control such as fuel and water pumps, fans and transfer case.
- PCB savings up to 50 percent due to a unique integration approach
- Lower switching losses and EMC optimization due to adaptive MOSFET control
- Automatic regulation of MOSFET pre-charge currents diminish the need for production MOSFET calibration
- VS monitoring in sleep mode activates MOSFET to prevent from ECU damage when the motor is in generator mode
Infineon offers highly integrated MOTIX™ Embedded Power ICs where a minimum number of external components are essential.
Infineon MOTIX™ Embedded Power ICs – System-on-Chip motor control
Infineon MOTIX™ Embedded Power ICs are specifically designed to enable mechatronic motor control solutions for a range of motor control applications in which a small package form factor and a minimum number of external components are essential. Such applications include window lift, sunroof, wiper, fuel pump, engine cooling fan, HVAC fans, and water pumps, to name but a few.
Produced on Infineon’s first-in-industry automotive-qualified Smart Power technologies, the Infineon Embedded Power System-on-Chip (SoC) solutions offer an unmatched level of integration of all functions required to sense, control and actuate a motor. The Infineon Embedded Power ICs integrate on a single die the microcontroller, the non-volatile flash memory, the analog and mixed-signal peripherals, the communication interfaces along with the driving stages needed for either relay, half-bridge or full-bridge DC and BLDC motor applications.
- Enable the highest integration
- Provide high-quality, reliable and robust products
- Reduced development effort by qualifying only one device
- Support different motor control algorithms including sensorless FOC
- Offer extensive diagnostics and protection features, more than a discrete approach can offer
The reference design targets engine cooling fan applications and it is capable to drive 12 V BLDC motors up to 1 kW. It uses the TLE9879QXW40 (Embedded Power IC, System-on-Chip (SoC)) and the IAUA250N04S6N007 (OptiMOS™-6 40 V MOSFET) as main devices. The reference design offers minimal BOM and reduced PCB size. Furthermore, it is optimized in terms of EMC and thermal performance. It includes layout and schematic files, along with comprehensive support documents including EMC measurements, thermal analysis and a detailed board description.
For more detailed information, please visit our reference design webpage.
The reference design targets auxiliary water pump application and it is capable to drive 12 V BLDC motors up to 140W. It features:
- TLE9879QXW40 (Embedded Power IC, System-on-Chip (SoC))
- IAUC60N04S6N031H (OptiMOS™-6 40 V MOSFET)
- IPZ40N04S5-3R1 (OptiMOS™-5 40 V MOSFET)
The reference design offers minimal BOM and reduced PCB size. Furthermore, it is optimized in terms of EMC and thermal performance. It includes comprehensive support material including layout and schematic files (Altium), EMC tests, thermal analysis and detailed documentation.
Accelerate your development process and go to market faster with our auxiliary water pump reference design.
For more detailed information, please visit our water pump reference design webpage.
Learn how to control MOSFETs in PWM with the evalkits DC/BLDC for MOTIX™ motor system IC . Know how to control the switching times of the external MOSFETs
In this training you will:
- Know more about Infineon’s wide MOSFET selection for 48 V mild-hybrid electric vehicle, or MHEV, applications
- Understand why and how Infineon is strengthening its position in the 40 V MOSFET market, and be familiar with Infineon’s newest 60 V MOSFETs
In this training you will:
- Describe what a MOSFET is and how it works and recognize the benefits of replacing relays
Identify the specific components used in a MOSFET-based application, and be aware of what to consider when you replace relays with MOSFETs.
- Understand how NovalithIC™ devices work.
- Get to know their main features, applications and portfolio, and identify the specific characteristics of the latest B-T-N-99-x-x devices.