Automotive motor control 12V
Comprehensive motor control offerings including toolchain enable cost and energy-effective motor control for automotive applications.
Whatever you touch in a car, there is an electric motor close by. Brushed DC motors are easy to control and often serve as actuators with an overall short operating time. Torque control down to zero speed is easy to achieve.
Brushless DC (BLDC) motors have less wear but need a complex control algorithm and, therefore, higher computing power than a DC motor drive. BLDC motors are most suitable for applications demanding long-term continuous duty like fuel pumps.
Discover how Infineon offers the most complete range of solutions for motor control.
Infineon´s low integrated solutions give you flexibility. Infineon’s portfolio comprises Multi MOSFET Driver IC and gate driver IC.
Multi MOSFET Driver IC:
Infineon’s TLE9210x is a family of Multi MOSFET Driver ICs, designed to control up to eight half-bridges (up to 16 n-channel MOSFETs) with one packaged device.
- Reduced design-in effort
- High flexibility and reliability
3-Phase gate driver ICs:
Infineon´s automotive-qualified gate driver ICs, TLE9180D-21QK and TLE9180D-31QK, are dedicated to control 6 external N-channel MOSFETs forming an inverter for high current 3 phase motor drives application in the automotive sector. Three integrated current sense amplifier for shunt signal conditioning is integrated. The IC can operate at 12V, 24V and 48V battery voltage domains.
- Suitable for 12 V, 24 V and 48 V battery voltages
- Integrated load current measurement
- Detailed diagnosis supports safety-relevant use cases
- Limp home mode
The medium-integrated devices combine gate-drivers with the MOSFET power stage in a single package. A small footprint on the PCB, diagnostic feedback and protection adds to the benefits of the integration. Infineon’s portfolio comprises single half-bridge ICs, multi half-bridge ICs, and full-bridge ICs.
Single half-bridge ICs
The integrated high-current motor drivers family NovalithIC™ provides a complete low-ohmic-protected half-bridge in a single package. It can be combined with an additional NovalithIC™ to create an H-bridge or 3-phase bridge as well. The NovalithIC™ family has the capability to switch high-frequency PWM while providing overcurrent, overvoltage and overtemperature protection.
- Integrated half-bridge
- PWM capability
- Logic-level input: Connects directly to MCU
- Current limitation for reduced power dissipation & short-circuit protection
- Adjustable slew rates for optimized EMI
- Current sense capability
- Overtemperature shut down
- Integrated dead-time generation
Multi half-bridge ICs
The TLE94xyz are protected half-bridge drivers designed for automotive motion control applications such as small DC motors for flaps in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC), as well as mirror adjustment and fold. All devices can drive DC motor loads up to 0.9 A per output in cascaded or parallel operation. They provide a diagnosis of short circuit, open load, power supply failure, and overtemperature for each half-bridge to ensure safe operation in HVAC or other systems.
- 3-,4-,6,-,8-,10,-12-half-bridges with integrated output staged and PWM
- 16-bit SPI or direct inputs for control and diagnosis
- Voltage supply range: 5.5-20 V
- Adjustable open-load threshold for two outputs
- Variable driving schemes for up to 11 motors
- Diagnosis of each output via SPI
- Device operates down to 5.5 V
- OUT 1 and 2 optimizes for driving HS loads
- Adjustable slew rates for optimized EMI
Full-bridge driver ICs
TLE9201SG is a general purpose 6A H-Bridge for industrial and automotive applications, designed for the control of small DC motors and inductive loads. It meets the harsh automotive environmental conditions and it is qualified in accordance with the AEC-Q100 standard.
- Operational voltage: 4.5 V to 28 V
- Fully 3.3/5.5 V compatible logic inputs
- Low standby current
- Short-circuit and overtemperature protection
- VS undervoltage protection
- Open-load detection in ON and OFF state
The medium-high integrated device, Motor System IC, combines gate drivers with power and communication supply.
Motor System IC
Infineon’s Motor System IC family is the world’s first IC to combine DC and BLDC motor control with functionalities such as power supply, CAN FD and LIN. All devices of the Motor System IC family feature a low-dropout voltage regulator with an output current of 250 mA/5 V and they are available in a VQFN-48 (7 x 7 mm) package.
- PCB savings up to 50 percent due to a unique integration approach
- Lower switching losses and EMC optimization due to adaptive MOSFET control
- Automatic regulation of MOSFET pre-charge currents diminish the need for production MOSFET calibration
- VS monitoring in sleep mode activates MOSFET to prevent from ECU damage when the motor is in generator mode
Infineon offers highly integrated Embedded Power ICs where a minimum number of external components are essential.
Infineon Embedded Power ICs – System-on-Chip motor control
Infineon Embedded Power ICs are specifically designed to enable mechatronic motor control solutions for a range of motor control applications in which a small package form factor and a minimum number of external components are essential. Such applications include window lift, sunroof, wiper, fuel pump, engine cooling fan, HVAC fans, and water pumps, to name but a few.
Produced on Infineon’s first-in-industry automotive-qualified Smart Power technologies, the Infineon Embedded Power System-on-Chip (SoC) solutions offer an unmatched level of integration of all functions required to sense, control and actuate a motor. The Infineon Embedded Power ICs integrate on a single die the microcontroller, the non-volatile flash memory, the analog and mixed-signal peripherals, the communication interfaces along with the driving stages needed for either relay, half-bridge or full-bridge DC and BLDC motor applications.
- Enable the highest integration
- Provide high-quality, reliable and robust products
- Reduced development effort by qualifying only one device
- Support different motor control algorithms including sensorless FOC
- Offer extensive diagnostics and protection features, more than a discrete approach can offer
The reference design targets engine cooling fan applications and it is capable to drive 12V BLDC motors up to 1 kW. It uses the TLE9879QXW40 (Embedded Power IC, System-on-Chip (SoC)) and the IAUA250N04S6N007 (OptiMOS™-6 40V MOSFET) as main devices. The reference design offers minimal BOM and reduced PCB size. Furthermore, it is optimized in terms of EMC and thermal performance. It includes layout and schematic files, along with comprehensive support documents including EMC measurements, thermal analysis and a detailed board description.
For more detailed information, please visit our reference design webpage.
The reference design targets auxiliary water pump application and it is capable to drive 12V BLDC motors up to 140W. It features:
- TLE9879QXW40 (Embedded Power IC, System-on-Chip (SoC))
- IAUC60N04S6N031H (OptiMOS™-6 40V MOSFET)
- IPZ40N04S5-3R1 (OptiMOS™-5 40V MOSFET)
The reference design offers minimal BOM and reduced PCB size. Furthermore, it is optimized in terms of EMC and thermal performance. It includes comprehensive support material including layout and schematic files (Altium), EMC tests, thermal analysis and detailed documentation.
Accelerate your development process and go to market faster with our auxiliary water pump reference design.
For more detailed information, please visit our water pump reference design webpage.
DC motors part 1
Go over the DC brush motor, its structure and function.
DC motors part 2
Dive deeper into the function of the brushed DC motor and learn about relevant applications of this motor type.
Field oriented control
Get an overview about the basic principle of field oriented control (FOC).
Drive circuits part 1
Learn which electronic components are required and how to use them to drive an AC or DC motor.
Drive circuits part 2
Learn about drive circuits for AC motor operations.
Drive circuits part 3
Explore how to provide a variable motor supply despite having a fixed supply voltage.
Megatrends in automotive and the increasing demand for smart motor control solutions
The number of small electric motors increases continuously with more sophisticated equipment of cars. Hybrid and electric vehicles demanding comprehensive cooling & HVAC systems or self-driving vehicles enabling more passenger comfort boost this development. Watch the video and see the trends.
Infineon offers a large choice of motor control ICs to meet specific design challenges
Infineon is a one-stop-shop for motor control solutions with the broadest portfolio of motor control ICs. Explore the different integration levels from a discrete partitioning to highly-integrated System-on-Chip (SoC) solutions and get the best fit for your requirements.
In this training, you will:
- Learn about Infineon‘s TLE956x motor system ICs, which are the first devices in the world that combine half-bridge gate drivers, power supply and a communication interface in a single device
- Get also an overview of TLE956x’s main features and benefits
In this training, you will:
- Learn about the TLE985x family, which belongs to a platform of products developed specifically for highly integrated motor control solutions where a small footprint is essential
- Get also an overview of TLE985x’s main features and benefits
In this training, you will:
- Learn about Infineon’s TLE9210x, which is a family of Multi MOSFET Driver ICs, designed to control up to eight half-bridges (up to 16 n-channel MOSFETs) with one packaged device
- Get also an overview of overview of TLE9210x’s main features and applications
In this training you will:
- Know more about Infineon’s wide MOSFET selection for 48 V mild-hybrid electric vehicle, or MHEV, applications
- Understand why and how Infineon is strengthening its position in the 40 V MOSFET market, and be familiar with Infineon’s newest 60 V MOSFETs