DC motor control 12V automotive
Whatever you touch in a car, there is an electric motor close by. Brushed DC motors are easy to control and often serve as actuators with an overall short operating time. Torque control down to zero speed is easy to achieve.
Brushless DC (BLDC) motors have less wear but need a complex control algorithm and, therefore, higher computing power than a DC motor drive. BLDC motors are most suitable for applications demanding long-term continuous duty like fuel pumps. Discover how Infineon offers the most complete range of solutions for motor control.
Highly integrated solution - Infineon Embedded Power ICs - System-on-Chip motor control
Infineon Embedded Power ICs are specifically designed to enable mechatronic motor control solutions for a range of motor control applications in which a small package form factor and a minimum number of external components are essential. Such applications include window lift, sunroof, wiper, fuel pump, engine cooling fan, HVAC fans, and water pumps, to name but a few.
Produced on Infineon’s first-in-industry automotive-qualified Smart Power technologies, the Infineon Embedded Power System-on-Chip (SoC) solutions offer an unmatched level of integration of all functions required to sense, control and actuate a motor. The Infineon Embedded Power ICs integrate on a single die the microcontroller, the non-volatile flash memory, the analog and mixed-signal peripherals, the communication interfaces along with the driving stages needed for either relay, half-bridge or full-bridge DC and BLDC motor applications.
- Enable cost and board space improvements
- Enabling high levels of system reliability
- Support multiple and flexible designs with minimal effort
Benefits per design integration level
Medium-integrated solutions for motor control
The medium-integrated devices combine gate-drivers with the MOSFET power stage in a single package. A small footprint on the PCB, diagnostic feedback and protection add to the benefits of the integration. Infineon’s portfolio comprises Single-Half-Bridges, Multi-Half-Bridges, and Full- or H-Bridges.
System Basis Chip (SBC)
The System Basis Chips (SBC) offer high integration and high performance at an optimized system cost for motor control applications. This reduces the required board space by 80 percent, also lowers energy consumption through low-power modes offering the lowest quiescent current in the market. In addition, SBCs increase system reliability by reducing component count, integrating safety features, and lowering the bill of materials.
- Selectable 5 V or 3.3 V main power supply
- CAN FD (up to 5 Mbit/s) and up to two LIN transceivers (TLE926x), › CAN Partial Networking as an option
- Compelling four high-side switches 7 Ω typ. (TLE926x)
- Effective external load switch control through integrated charge pump (TLE9461/71) that can drive an external N-FET
- Integrated diagnostics and supervision features, supporting ECU functional safety concepts with under-voltage monitoring, window watchdog with reset, fail-safe operating mode, fail-safe outputs and more
- Extends battery life through low-power modes and the lowest quiescent current in the market
- Increased system reliability by reducing component count
- Safely supply off-board loads (e.g., sensors) with protected low-drop voltage regulators