Automotive USB Type-C and Power Delivery
USB-C and power delivery in vehicles
Automotive USB Type-C and Power Delivery subcategories
As more consumer devices (such as phones, tablets and laptops) support USB-C and power delivery, the need for USB-C and power delivery ports in cars is increasing. Consumers will soon be able to fast-charge all their devices (including laptops and tablets) over USB-C, as well as enable new features such as smart mirroring for rear seat entertainment.
EZ-PD™ CCG3PA Automotive is a family of programmable, highly integrated Type-C and PD controllers targeted towards in-vehicle charger ports (head units and rear seat chargers), and rear seat entertainment. Infineon's CCG3PA Automotive controller is fully AECQ-100 qualified and enables OEMs/ODMs to implement smart features including:
- Dynamic load sharing between ports
- Support for USB power delivery 3.0 including PPS as well as legacy protocols (BC 1.2, QC 2.0/3.0/4.0+, Apple charging, Samsung AFC)
- Single chip solution for systems with Type-C + Type-A (with CCG3PA Automotive)
- Smart communication to media hubs in head unit
- Support for Alternate Modes (DisplayPort) for rear seat entertainment systems
- Cable compensation to account for designs with pigtails
- Smart power management, with thermal- and VIN-based power throttling
- Programmability enabling customization such as port priority, LED controls etc.
- Flash upgradability to keep up with latest USB power delivery standards