Refrigeration and freezing – compressor drives
Less noise, more efficiency! Design compact, energy-efficient and cost-effective drive solutions.
Today, consumers are not only looking at energy consumption and noise levels. Compact design coupled with maximum storage space is also playing an increasingly important role. In addition, there is a desire for intelligent appliances that can be easily integrated into the home network.
From the manufacturer's point of view, the challenge is to meet the stricter regulations on energy efficiency, while at the same time ensuring the form factor and a reduction in costs. Thus, intelligent, compact, energy- and cost-efficient drive solutions for refrigerators and freezers meet the high customer requirements.
Explore our interactive block diagram to find the right products
Infineon offers a comprehensive portfolio for inverterized refrigerator compressors. Whether you choose the highest level of integration with our Intelligent Power Modules (IPM) or aim for the best price/performance ratio with discrete components, our IGBTs, MOSFETs, gate drivers, and microcontrollers are designed to work together seamlessly. This allows you to create smoother running systems with low power consumption and a smaller form factor. Infineon enables compact, robust, and reliable systems, with less power consumption and a modern touch user interface. CIPOS™ family of IPMs is the optimal solution for highly integrated compressor drives whilst discrete solutions like 600V RC-D2 or CoolMOS™ PFD7 are the best choice, whenever the layout flexibility and thermal performances optimization are the major factors. They can all be combined with iMOTION™ products for dedicated motor control. For the auxiliary power supply, the CoolSET ™ rounds up our power portfolio by offering increased robustness and performance.
Our PSoC® microcontroller family, AIROC™ Wi-Fi & Combos connectivity products and XENSIV™ sensors complete the portfolio you need to build a truly smart refrigerator. The energy-efficient CIPOS™ modules integrate various power and control components to increase reliability, optimize board size and reduce system costs. This simplifies power supply design and shortens time-to-market. Infineon offers the OPTIGA™ Trust hardware security solution and enables secure access to all major cloud providers.
Smart, connected and secured – System solutions for the new home appliance era
Modern refrigerators can sense their environment, are increasingly smart and connected. They can respond to users' needs by sending live data to users who control the operation via the Internet. At the same time, manufacturers can remotely analyze the appliance and suggest preventive maintenance. Secured communication is essential in this process.
Components and system solutions from Infineon enable you to build smart home appliances while providing secure data acquisition, control, and device connectivity. Achieve the highest device efficiency, the smallest form factors, and improve your carbon footprint with smart power supply designs. Benefit from one of the most comprehensive, out-of-the-box product and design portfolios on the market to best meet your unique application needs.
- CIPOS™ Intelligent Power Modules (IPMs) are highly integrated, compact power modules designed to drive motors in applications ranging from home appliances, fans, pumps to general-purpose drives. They are divided into the compact, standard, and performance families: CIPOS™ Nano, CIPOS ™ Micro, CIPOS™ Tiny, CIPOS ™ Mini, and CIPOS™ Maxi, with different semiconductors in different packages and different voltage and current classes. These energy-efficient intelligent power modules integrate the latest power semiconductor and IC technology.
- iMOTION™ is a digital motor controller family of highly integrated products for the control of a variable speed drive. It integrates all control and analog interface functions required for sensorless field-oriented control (FOC) of PM motors using DC-link or leg shunt current measurements. They also feature Infineon’s patented and field-proven motor control engine (MCE) which frees the motor control algorithm development process from software coding. Implementing a variable-speed drive is reduced to configuring the MCE for the specific motor.
- PSoC®4 is the answer to the complex parts of embedded system design with optimized features such as analog sensor integration, capacitive touch, and wireless connectivity were included in PSoC® 4. PSoC® 6 bridges the gap between expensive, power-hungry application processors and low‑performance microcontrollers (MCUs). The ultra‑low‑power PSoC® 6 MCU features an Arm® Cortex®‑M4 for high‑performance tasks and an Arm® Cortex®‑M0+ for low-power tasks, and with security built-in, your IoT system is protected.
- AIROC™ Wi-Fi & Combos combos integrate IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN and Bluetooth in a single-chip solution to enable small-form-factor IoT designs. Combo solutions are available for both 1x1 SISO with up to 433 Mbps PHY data rates and 2x2 MIMO with up to 867 Mbps PHY data rates. These solutions can be coupled with external MCUs from popular vendors or Linux on applications processors to implement a complete Wi-Fi + Bluetooth system.
- XENSIV™ sensors are designed to “smartify” lives by enabling “things” to “see”, “hear”, “feel” and “understand” their environment. Predictive maintenance enables a data-driven approach to predict and prevent device failures based on pattern recognition and intelligent software models. To collect the necessary data and enable monitoring of the condition of devices in a building, smart XENSIV™ sensors help to record the most crucial parameters of a device’s status.
- The OPTIGA™ Trust product family offers a full range of security chips to address individual needs in the field of embedded authentication and brand protection and further security applications. Whether you are looking for a turnkey security chip enabling fast and easy integration or a feature-rich programmable solution, OPTIGA™ Trust has the perfect match for your business model.
- AC-DC Integrated Power Stage - CoolSET™ offers high performance with the integration of 700V and 800V CoolMOS™ P7 power MOSFET. It is targeted for SMPS, home appliances (which includes washing machines, refrigerators, aircon), set-top-boxes, LCD/LED monitors, and general-purpose power supply up to a maximum output power of 43W.
- The 600 V CoolMOS™ PFD7 high-voltage MOSFET series sets new standards in 600 V super-junction (SJ) technology. CoolMOS™ PFD7 pushes SJ MOSFET technology to new limits, resulting in an outstanding improvement in lower conduction and charge/discharge losses, as well as a reduced turn-off and gate drive losses. With these unique product features and resulting benefits, the CoolMOS™ PFD7 super junction MOSFET family is ideally suited for ultra-high density applications such as chargers and adapters, USB power supplies, as well as drives for household appliances (e.g., refrigerator compressors) and specialty lighting SMPS applications.
- The 600 V RC-D2 with the monolithic integrated diode offers improvements in performance, controllability, and reliability compared to the RC-D. It is the successor of the RC-DF IGBT. The diode is monolithically integrated which makes this technology suitable for consumer drives. The current rating of the diode has been optimized to make this product even more competitive in terms of price and performance. The RC-D2 is also the first IGBT family to introduce the SOT-223* package to further improve the price with a smaller package that is pin-to-pin compatible and substitutable with the DPAK package and fits in the same footprint.
Whitepaper: The rise of the smart kitchen
This whitepaper charts the rapid rise of the smart kitchen and looks at how advances in electronic solutions have resulted in a new generation of quieter and more energy-efficient appliances driven by intuitive sensor-based operation.
Webinar: System solutions for the smart home appliance Era
Modern home appliances are increasingly smart and connected, providing a seamless, remote user experience. Users control operation and receive live data from appliances, whether it's the contents of the refrigerator or information on the status of laundry. In turn, manufacturers can remotely analyze the device and suggest predictive maintenance to avoid costly repairs. This webinar will show you how Infineon's smartest power designs can help you achieve the highest efficiencies, smallest form factors and significantly improve your appliances' carbon footprint to make them smart, connected, and secured.
Infineon's smart and efficient solutions for home appliances
Kitchens are becoming smarter. They connect to your world and they interact with you. Appliances are now expected to be energy-efficient, connected, intuitive, and secure. Watch this video to find out how Infineon's solution offering paves the way for the future of the smart home.
One-stop shop for major home appliance designs
See how Infineon’s broad portfolio of power electronics can solve your home appliance drive challenges.
Adding intelligence to homes and cities of the future
Discover how intelligence semiconductor powered solutions push for more intelligent connected technology globally.
From the stove at home to out in the world
Fitted with sensors, microcontrollers and power, these appliances run quieter, last longer and, most importantly, consume less energy.
How radar can make your home intuitively smart
Infineon’s highly accurate XENSIV™ radar-based presence detection solution allows smart devices to detect whether someone is in the room and to intuitively interact with that person. Check out how Infineon’s intelligent solution enables users to intuitively interact with smart home devices.
By the end of this training you will know the most relevant Infineon products that you can choose to build up a refrigerator system.