GaN HEMT – Gallium Nitride Transistor
GaN HEMT – Gallium Nitride Transistor Unterkategorien
CoolGaN™ - Ultimate efficiency and reliability at ease-of-use.
Gallium nitride (GaN) transistors offer fundamental advantages over silicon. In particular, the higher critical electrical field makes it very attractive for power semiconductor devices with outstanding specific dynamic on-state resistance and smaller capacitances compared to silicon MOSFETs, which makes GaN HEMTs great for high speed switching applications. Gallium nitride transistors can then be operated with reduced dead-times which results in higher efficiency and enables passive cooling. Operation at high switching frequencies allows the volume of passive components to shrink which improves GaN HEMTs reliability and overall power density.
The most important feature of a GaN power transistor is its reverse recovery performance. As Infineon’s CoolGaN™ transistors have no minority carriers and no body diode they do not exhibit a reverse recovery. Therefore, hard-switching topologies such as totem-pole PFC can be employed to achieve higher efficiency, for example in datacenter and server power supplies, in order to save energy and reduce OPEX.
Infineon’s CoolGaN™ is a highly efficient GaN (gallium nitride) transistor technology for power conversion in the voltage range up to 600V. With extensive experience on the semiconductor market, Infineon’s GaN technology brought the e-mode concept to maturity with end-to-end production in high volumes. The pioneering quality ensures the highest standards and offers the most reliable and performing solution among all GaN HEMTs on the market.
Switched-mode power circuits using CoolGaN™ can benefit from the improved energy efficiency and the improved power density, which is not possible with state-of-the-art silicon devices. In high-frequency operations, above 200-250kHz, switching speed is key to determining how the transfer of energy occurs. The superfast switching speed of Infineon’s CoolGaN™ enables a very short dead-time. With a predicted lifetime of more than 15 years and a failure rate below 1 FIT, customers can rely on its reliability and quality.
Infineon’s high performance CoolGaN™ e-mode HEMTs are available in top- as well as bottom-side cooled SMD packages. Allowing for highest efficiency and power density as well as best thermal behavior in the respective applications. These e-mode GaN HEMT transistors target consumer and industrial applications such as server, datacom, telecom, adapter/charger, wireless charging, and audio with the most robust and performing concept in the market.
Audio amplifier performance is maximized with Infineon’s CoolGaN™ gallium nitride technology and allows approaching the theoretical ideal performance of class D audio amplifiers due to the unique characteristics of GaN HEMT switches. Their ideal switching waveforms are the prerequisite to maximize audio performance and minimize power losses in class D audio amplifiers.
In chargers and adapters, GaN HEMT transistors enable superior and highly efficient switching performance, and greatly help achieving high power density designs.
In hybrid flyback switching operation with the PFC + hybrid flyback controller XDP™ digital power XDPS2221, the negative current needs to be compensated with positive current. As such, wide bandgap switches such as CoolGaN™ offer excellent figures of merit RDS(on) Co(tr), best-suited to enable low circulating current resulting in high conversion efficiency.
Using Infineon’s GaN HEMT devices in high-power applications such as server power supply and telecom applications leads to cost savings and more power per rack. It also allows for easier control schemes due to its hard-switching capabilities while at the same time offering efficiency benefits compared to the next best silicon alternative. With the increasing demand for faster data communication, GaN HEMT for 5G applications will enable higher efficiency and extremely fast switching speeds.
- Scaling GaN to higher power levels in IBCs and LV drives
- 10 kW electric vehicle charger with CoolGaN™
- Driving Infineon's CoolGaN™ GIT HEMTs with EiceDRIVER™ gate driver ICs
- Infineon CoolGaN™ delivers dynamic and cost effective solutions
- Experience the difference of Si / SiC / GaN technology
- CoolGaN™ - the new power paradigm
- CoolGaN™ 600V e-mode HEMT half-bridge evaluation platform featuring GaN EiceDRIVER™ Part 1
- CoolGaN™ 600V e-mode HEMT half-bridge evaluation platform featuring GaN EiceDRIVER™ Part 2
- CoolGaN™ 600V e-mode HEMT half-bridge evaluation platform featuring GaN EiceDRIVER™ Part 3
- Infineon’s 3.6 kW LLC and PFC full system solution using CoolGaN™
- 840 watt isolated full-bridge primary, center tap secondary evaluation unit using CoolGaN™
- Infineon’s ¼ brick full-bridge to center tap isolated DC to DC converter
- 3600 W full-bridge to full-bridge LLC DC-DC CoolGaN™ demonstration board
- 3-phase GaN motor inverter demonstration with CoolGaN™
- The advantages of using the CoolGaN™ 600 V e-mode HEMTs in class E wireless charging applications
- Infineon demonstration boards for telecom featuring #CoolGaN™
- Rethink your system: hyper-scale computing enabled by #Infineon
- Infineon’s GaN solution – easier to use GaN than ever before
- Dr. Gerald Deboy, Senior Principal Power Semiconductors and System Engineering, gives insights into CoolGaN™
Get the know-how of driving CoolGaN™ e-mode HEMTs from an expert!
| GaN EiceDRIVER™
Unboxing CoolGaN™ 600V e-mode HEMT half-bridge evaluation platform featuring GaN EiceDRIVER™
Driver ICs for GaN HEMTs
| GaN EiceDRIVER™
Lab session - 2500W full-bridge totem pole PFC evaluation board using CoolGaN™ 600V e-mode HEMT
| Watch in CN language
Unboxing 2500W full-bridge totem pole PFC evaluation board using CoolGaN™ 600V e-mode HEMT
CoolGaN™ 600V e-mode HEMTs bring enterprise and hyperscale data center servers to the next level of efficiency
| Watch in CN language
- Wireless power devices with GaN
- Multicopter solutions with AURIX™ and CoolGaN™
- Dr. Wei Deng, Senior Product Marketing Manager High Voltage GaN - CoolGaN™ opens new horizons for applications
- CoolGaN™ - the new power paradigm. Ultimate efficiency and reliability.
This training provides an insight about the system benefits of wide-bandgap devices, which will conquer market share in areas where power density, efficiency and/or battery range are decisive. The training focuses on two applications, mobile chargers and on-board chargers, and will talk about the challenges faced by the solutions today and how SiC and GaN provide next levels of performance.
Understand why to use WBG switches for bi-directional converters, the topologies used and how they function.
By watching this eLearning you will:
- Understand package inductance
- Know why wide bandgap transistors are more susceptible to package inductance, and
- Identify which Infineon package types have lower inductance
In this eLearning you will get an overview of the main features and benefits of Infineon’s 600 V CoolGaN™ transistors.
In this eLearning you will learn about the similarities and differences of GaN power transistors compared to their silicon counterparts.
In this training, you will learn about the transient voltage ratings that were added to CoolGaN™ datasheets.
In this training, we will show you Infineon’s CoolGaN™ - GaN HEMTs methodology.
CoolGaN™ - Gallium Nitride Transistors are the power devices with the best performance available on the market. Get to know more about this technology.
Do you want to learn about switched mode power supplies (SMPS), but have little to no background in electrical engineering? Then watch this training series!
It will take you on a journey: You will start with the basics of electrical engineering and learn the principles of semiconductors so you are fully prepared to dive into the world of SMPS.
Part 1 - Electrical engineering fundamentals (Chinese version)
Part 2 - Principles of semiconductors (Chinese version)
Part 3 - Introduction to SMPS (Chinese version)
Part 4 - SMPS topologies (Chinese version)