Driver GaN GIT
EiceDRIVER™ gate driver ICs with perfect fit to CoolGaN™ GIT HEMTs
Wide-bandgap semiconductors allow higher electric field strengths and thus result in significantly smaller high-voltage switches compared to silicon alternatives. Consequently, GaN-based power devices can operate at high switching frequencies without compromising efficiency. Infineon’s CoolGaN™ gate injection transistor (GIT) technology is based on a hybrid-drain HEMT with p-GaN gate resulting in a robust normally-off power switch. To deal with the particularities of this concept, an innovative differential gate-drive concept has been implemented in tailor-made gate driver ICs of the EiceDRIVER™ 1EDx56x3 product family optimized for CoolGaN™ GIT HEMTs.
Nevertheless, in many applications, standard gate driver ICs can also be employed when coupled to an RC interface to generate both the required small steady-state current and the turn-on/turn-off peak currents. Dual-channel drivers of the EiceDRIVER™ 2EDxx259 product family feature dead-time control (DTC) and shoot-through protection (STP) to ensure safe operation in half-bridge topologies using a single IC. A hybrid gate driving configuration for half-bridge topologies, composed of two single-channel gate driver ICs of the EiceDRIVER™ 1EDBx275F and 1EDNx550B, allows optimizing the driver IC placement on the PCB in order to minimize the gate loop parasitic inductances. This results in a PCB area saving (compared with a dual-channel gate driver IC) and it comes with a highly competitive bill-of-material (BOM).
To summarize, the 1-channel and 2-channel gate driver ICs of the EiceDRIVER™ family are the best
choices to match with Infineon’s CoolGaN™ GIT HEMTs and achieve an optimum combination of efficiency, power density, and robustness in high-performance power conversion applications.
- Fast turn-on and turn-off slew rates in source and sink driving currents
- Short propagation delay with best-in-class accuracy
- Extended common-mode transient immunity (CMTI) robustness
- Functional, basic, and reinforced galvanic isolation grades available
- Multiple under-voltage lookout (UVLO) options
- Shoot-through protection (STP) option
- Dead-time control (DTC) option
- Fast output clamping
- Low impedance outputs
- Safe off-state at extremely fast transients
- Low switching losses
- Low dead-time losses
- Excellent immunity against switching noise
- Hardware-based protection to stay in safe operation area
- Avoid spurious turn-on, even for the first pulse or after a burst mode operation
- Enable reliable operation at high switching frequency