The Fan Controller component enables designers to quickly and easily develop fan controller solutions using PSoC™. The component is a system-level solution that encapsulates all necessary hardware blocks including PWMs, or TCPWMs for PSoC™ 4, tachometer input capture timer, control registers, status registers and a DMA controller (ISR for PSoC™ 4) reducing development time and effort.
The component is customizable through a graphical user interface enabling designers to enter fan electromechanical parameters such as duty cycle-to-RPM mapping and physical fan bank organization. Performance parameters including PWM frequency and resolution as well as open or closed loop control methodology can be configured through the same user interface. Once the system parameters are entered, the component delivers the most optimal implementation saving resources within PSoC™ to enable integration of other thermal management and system management functionality. Easy-to-use APIs are provided to enable firmware developers to get up and running quickly.
- Support for up to 16 PWM-controlled, 4-wire brushless DC fans for PSoC™ 3/PSoC™ 5LP devices and up to 6 fans for PSoC™ 4
- Individual or banked PWM outputs with tachometer inputs
- Supports 25 kHz, 50 kHz or user-specified PWM frequencies
- Supports fan speeds up to 25,000 RPM
- Supports 4-pole and 6-pole motors
- Supports fan stall / rotor lock detection on all fans
- Supports firmware controlled or hardware controlled fan speed regulation for PSoC™ 3/PSoC™ 5LP
- Supports firmware-controlled fan speed regulation for PSoC™ 4
- Customizable alert pin for fan fault reporting