5th generation of high-performance, quasi-resonant flyback ICs for AC-DC power conversion
The 5th generation quasi-resonant CoolSET™ controller combines the industry’s benchmark for thermal performance with the latest innovation in quasi-resonant technology for unparalleled performance and efficiency.
With a quasi-resonant operation and an intelligent adaptive digital algorithm, the PWM controller is able to minimize the spread of switching frequency under different AC line input conditions. This innovative approach has enabled SMPS designers to design with a higher switching frequency to take advantage of smaller magnetics and lower the overall BOM cost.
In addition to standard integrated protection features such as output short and overload protection, the 5th generation quasi-resonant controller incorporates additional measures to detect abnormal line inputs such as overvoltage and undervoltage. All protection modes are implemented with auto-resume to minimize system disruption.
The quasi-resonant controller is supplied together with the latest 800 V CoolMOS™ P7 – recognized as best-in-class for superjunction technology in terms of both performance and ease of implementation – in a single package.
Infineon’s Quasi-Resonant CoolSET™ portfolio benefits from Auto-restart recovery to minimize system operation interruption, extensive protection coverage for system robustness, and a rapid start-up performance thanks to its cascode configuration, alongside configurable parameters adding an additional layer of design flexibility. Further BOM and footprint reduction are made possible by eliminating the need for a heatsink with the full range available in both through-hole and SMD packages.
Configurations are available to meet broad requirements for power outputs ranging from 15 W to 42 W with home appliances such as refrigerators and a/c units, TVs, PCs, and industrial SMPS amongst the target applications.
- Integrated with 800 V avalanche rugged CoolMOS™ P7
- Novel quasi-resonant switching scheme
- Rapid and adjustable start-up with cascode configuration
- 2 level selectable active burst mode level
- Built-in digital soft start
- Cycle by cycle peak current limitation with fold-back correction
- Digital frequency reduction with decreasing load for higher efficiency
- Adjustable line input over-voltage and brown IN/OUT protection
- V CC pin short to ground protection
- OLP, output short, output over-voltage, OTP with hysteresis, and VCC Over/under voltage protection
- Auto-restart for all protection features