Tunable white LED driver reference design with linear regulators
The REF_TW_BCR601_55V_0.5A tunable white reference design with 2 channels uses BCR601 and BCR602 linear regulators to provide a very stable LED current which is completely free of any ripple or temporary fluctuations. Consequently, the light output is completely free of any artefacts like flicker or stroboscopic effects. Thanks to the active headroom control (AHC) of BCR601, the output of the primary stage of the board, which is attached to, is regulated to maximize efficiency to levels that are quite similar to switched-mode regulators. The cost-effectiveness especially in multichannel designs can be further enhanced by using BCR602 in a tiny SOT23-6 package regulating the LED current for flicker-free deep dimming performance.
A modular reference design consisting of XDPL8219 board for primary side - a digitally configurable AC/DC flyback converter - together with this board are available.
- BCR601 as the master controller controls the voltage overhead of both channels and current of one channel
- BCR602 as slave controller regulates the current of the second channel
- Input voltage up to 60 V
- Can be operated with either BJT or N-channel MOSFET
- Analog dimming down to 3 %, PWM dimming down to 1 % (BCR602)
- Current precision ±3 %
- OTP, OVP, hot-plug protection
- Linear regulators give considerable cost advantage over buck topology
- Cost advantage increases with additional channels
- Efficiency can be on par with the buck (depends on output ripple of the first stage)
- Highest light quality, zero ripple
- Deep, full analog dimming
- Easy to extend to additional outputs (e.g. RGBW)
Modular lighting boards
At Infineon we offer a broad variety of primary side ACDC and secondary side DCDC boards dedicated to LED lighting. The LED lighting boards can easily be stacked together for plug-and-play solutions.