43W high power factor flyback converter with constant voltage output based on ICL8810
The REF_ICL8810_LED_43W_BM is a 43W reference design featuring Infineon’s high power factor flyback controller ICL8810. The board is a constant voltage (CV) secondary-side regulated (SSR) system and is intended to be used with a constant current (CC) converter for LED lighting applications.
Two-stage topologies are growing because of the convenient scalability of power on the primary side as and the features on the secondary side. REF_ICL8810_LED_43W_BM is designed as plug-and- play solution and can be combined with secondary side DC/DC boards.
As a default setup, the reference design board is assembled with a start-up circuit based on a depletion-mode MOSFET BSS126I on a very small adapter board. This setup offers the lowest standby losses. If low standby consumption is not necessary, the start-up circuit can be changed to a resistive start-up.
This reference design is provided with two regulation circuits. Both circuits are designed as plug and play solutions, but at least one has to be connected to the main board.
The two boards shall show the trade-off between cost; here the TL431 board offers a low-cost solution, and standby performance, while the op-amp board shows an overall 30mW better performance.
With its benchmarking performance in power factor and total harmonic distortion at full-load and low-load conditions, ICL8810 enables window drivers and platform designs. Furthermore, the IC combines optimum efficiency and low EMI without compromising light quality.
Being the advanced featured variant of the ICL88xx family, ICL8810 is the perfect fit for on-off drivers, including dim-to-off. Its additionally integrated burst mode enables a very low stand-by power < 100mW. Consequently, more power budget for additional components can be used and ICL8810 is ideally suited for smart lighting applications in connection with microcontrollers.
For primary-side regulation of the single-stage flyback LED controller ICL8810 choose REF_ICL8810_LED_42W_PSR.
- Constant voltage (CV) secondary side regulated (SSR) reference design for LED lighting applications
- ICL8810 provides integrated burst mode for very low stand-by power < 100mW
- Power factor (PF) > 0.9 and THD < 10% across a wide load range (AC input up to 277Vrms)
- Maximum AC input voltage 90 – 305Vrms
- Critical conduction mode and quasi-resonant mode with smart valley hopping
- Best fit topology for LED driver with minimum dimming levels down to 0.1% and dim-to-off
- Enables smart lighting
- Two-stage topology combines scalability with numerous features
- High light quality
- Cost-effective and bottom-up design
- Flexibility and low BOM for many applications
Modular Lighting boards
At Infineon we offer a broad variety of primary side ACDC and secondary side DCDC boards dedicated to LED lighting. The LED lighting boards can easily be stacked together for plug-and-play solutions.
List of components
- Single-stage flyback LED controller for constant voltage output
- 800V CoolMOS™ P7 superjunction MOSFET
- 600V N-Channel small signal depletion-mode MOSFET