Prevent damage and failures by detection and disconnection for safe parking, charging and discharging
To prevent thermal runaway and damage of batteries or charging devices, the battery protection units (BPU) offer:
- Fast and accurate disconnection of the battery from the charger when triggered by failure events
- Safe disconnection of the battery when the vehicle is off
- Monitor the state of the disconnection
The failure events include:
- Over charge & undercharge: When the battery is charged over or under its thresholds.
- Over & under temperature: The rise of ambient temperature and high current rates during charging or discharging might cause the internal temperature of the cells exceed their safe operational temperature ranges. The abused cells will generate toxic and flammable gas and become a self-sustaining thermal runaway event due to the heat, which will eventually lead to explosion.
- Over-current: When the battery is exposed to a short circuit condition or a high inrush turn-on current due to collision or defective or aging components.
- Reverse polarity: When the battery terminals are wrongly plugged into the device.
- ASIL C compliance
- Same constructed space as melting fuse, flexible system integration
- Cost optimized system solution
- Selective, arcing free switch-off in case of failure
400V battery systems: CoolMOSTM
800V battery systems: CoolSiCTM
Well-suited for both silicon and wide-bandgap power devices: EiceDRIVERTM
- High efficiency
- Wide range of typical output current
- Robust gate drive protection features
- Support up to 24V
- PWM output up to 20kHz for reducing relay driving noise
- Integrated protection and diagnostics features
High side driving and controlling: PROFETTM
Low side driving and controlling: HITFETTM