3D Image Sensor for Automotive
REAL3™ ToF sensing brings added comfort and safety to automotive applications
Our REAL3™ automotive imager based on 3D time of flight (ToF) technology brings the most accurate and robust depth sensing capabilities to a wide range of automotive use cases both within and beyond the vehicle. As cars evolve to support a greater degree of automated driving and more intuitive ways for the driver and passengers to interact with the vehicle (HMI), designers are increasingly focusing on freedom, flexibility, comfort and – most importantly – safety. Our REAL3™ 3D in-cabin sensing cameras capture and process the data needed to ensure a high standard of passive safety through use cases like occupant detection and smart airbag systems. In addition, comfort features such as gesture control and fully autonomous parking (with high-resolution 3D ToF cameras scanning the area round the car down to the ground to detect curbs, walls or other obstacle regardless of how bright or dark it is) pave the way for maximum driver convenience.
|IRS1125A||active||PG-LFBGA-84||100 kpxl (CIF)||352 x 288
The REAL3™ product portfolio also comprises dedicated bare die imagers for consumer & industrial applications.
3D reference cameras
A set of 3D reference cameras are available to evaluate our REAL3™ time of flight (ToF) technology. The CamBoard pico family was designed by our development partner pmdtechnologies, and comes with a powerful SDK providing a high-quality depth map for evaluation and application software development. The CamBoard pico monstar camera delivers the 100k pixel resolution supported by our REAL3™ automotive imager (IRS1125A).
For further details and to place an order, please visit http://pmdtec.com/picofamily/
As automated driving capabilities evolve, drivers are increasingly being relieved of regular driving tasks and almost become “passengers”. This means cars are being turned into “living spaces” with completely new interior concepts to meet entertainment, work and relaxation expectations.
A REAL3™ time of flight (ToF) camera is the best way to support growing demand for comfort and convenience while still delivering advanced levels of passive safety. Additionally, a ToF camera can reduce the BOM for other electronic systems such as seat mat and seat belt sensors.
Examples of enhanced comfort features enabled by REAL3™
- Gesture control
- Intentional in-cabin lighting so only the area the driver or passenger is reaching for is illuminated (e.g. knobs close to a human hand)
- Automatic setting of pre-defined preferences
- Recommendations for optimized mirror or seat positions
- Dual display with customized content and features shown depending on driver or passenger
- Optimized audio depending on head position and available occupants
Enhanced occupant safety features enabled by REAL3™
- Occupant detection and classification
- Child presence detection
- Smart airbag: adapt pressure or switch off depending on situation
- Head position to airbag (e.g. changing seat positions such as lean back position during autonomous driving modes)
- Rear-facing baby seat
- Object on seat or carried by passenger
- Fastened seat belt detection
- Driver monitoring with eye-closure detection, exact head position
- Driver out of position, driver distraction, hands on steering wheel detection
Autonomous and highly automated cars require a robust sensor cocoon around the car to sense and understand their environment. A combination of different technologies like radar, lidar and cameras are generally fused to create this effect. These sensors are very well suited to short- and long-range applications, but depending on the automated driving level (SAE level1-5), the requirements and the placement of the sensors, it may also be necessary to cover close-range blind spots down to the ground in order to complete the sensor cocoon. This calls for more detailed resolution and better performance than today’s ultra-sonic sensors can provide.
A time of flight camera (ToF) leveraging flash lidar technology is the best way to realize a very small solution without any moving parts at comparatively low cost. It provides the most robust 3D visualization of the environment in high resolution (horizontal and vertical) over a range of up to 10m. Besides highly accurate depth data at pixel level, ToF imagers also support sunlight-independent amplitude pictures so the car can recognize signs on the street for example.
This reliable stream of 3D ToF data can be used to support a wide range of use cases around the car:
- Covering close-range blind spots around the autonomous driving sensor cocoon
- Dynamic situational awareness during vehicle startup
- Secondary sensor data stream to support autonomous driving modes
- Highly sophisticated parking assist
- Autonomous valet parking
- Face recognition with 3D authentication