Digital barometric pressure and temperature sensor for portable and IOT devices
The DPS422 is a miniaturized digital barometric air pressure and temperature sensor with high accuracy and low current consumption. Pressure sensing is carried out using a capacitive sensor element, guaranteeing high accuracy over temperature. The small 2.0 x 2.5 x 0.73 mm package makes the DPS422 ideal for mobile applications and wearable devices.
The pressure and temperature sensor elements are measured by a 24-bit ΣΔ ADC. Measurement results can be accessed over I2C or SPI, with an optional configurable interrupt and a result FIFO capable of holding 32 pressure and/or temperature measurements.
Individual calibration coefficients are generated for each unit during testing, and stored in the fuse registers.
These coefficients are used in the application to convert the measurement results to high accuracy pressure and temperature values.
Summary of Features
- Package dimensions: 8-pin LGA, 2.0 x 2.5 x 0.73 mm (typ)
- Operation range: Pressure: 300 –1200 hPa. Temperature: -40°C – +85 °C
- Pressure sensor precision: ± 0.005 hPa (or ±5 cm)
- Relative accuracy: ± 0.06 hPa (or ±50 cm)
- Absolute accuracy: ± 1 hPa (or ±8 m)
- Temperature accuracy: ± 0.4°C
- Pressure temperature sensitivity: < 0.5Pa/K
- Measurement time: Typical: 27.6 ms for standard mode (16x). Minimum: 3.6 ms for low precision mode
- Average current consumption: 1.7 μA for pressure measurement, 2μA for temperature measurement @1Hz sampling rate, Standby: <1 μA
- Supply voltage: VDDIO: 1.2 – 3.6 V, VDD: 1.7 – 3.6 V
- Operating modes: Command (manual), background (automatic), and standby
- Calibration: Individually calibrated with coefficients for measurement correction
- FIFO: Stores up to 32 pressure or temperature measurements
- Interface: I2C with optional interrupt, 4-wire SPI, 3-wire SPI with optional interrupt
- Highest precision and fast read-out speed enable accurate gesture and motion tracking
- Small footprint and thin package facilitate system integration
- Low power consumption required for mobile applications and wearables
- Absolute temperature sensor can be used in applications like weather stations or thermostats
- Intelligent FIFO improves system power consumption & enables MCU multitasking
- Local weather station and thermostat (micro weather forecasting; wind speed measurement; room temperature control)
- Air flow control (smart filter replacement, e.g. in whitegoods; Servers CPU ventilation control)
- Health and sports (fall detection; accurate elevation gain, e.g. for smart watches)
- Outdoor navigation (GPS start-up time and accuracy improvement; dead-reckoning e.g. in tunnels)
- Indoor navigation (floor detection e.g. in shopping malls and parking garages)
- Smart Home (intruder detection and environmental monitoring of premises)