Motor Control ICs
Solutions for motor control systems in automotive, consumer and industrial applications
Motor Control ICs subcategoriesCollapse all subcategories Expand all subcategories
With the continuous push towards higher energy efficiency, the use of variable speed motor control drivers in industrial, automotive, and consumer markets is growing continuously. In parallel, the product life cycles are getting shorter by each generation asking for ways to easily and rapidly integrate the required control algorithms. Infineon’s extensive portfolio of Motor Control ICs offers solutions for different integration levels:
- MOTIX™ drivers: Select from the most attractive and complete MOSFET motor driver portfolio for BDC and BLDC low voltage applications for body, chassis, and powertrain applications from 12 V – 48 V batteries such as our MOTIX™ multi MOSFET drivers or our motor gate drivers as well as servo and stepper motor drivers
- MOTIX™ bridge: Fully integrated unique half-bridges (NovalithIC™), full bridges, and multi half-bridges from Infineon are the most cost-effective solution for low power BDC motor drives < 300 W and provides ease-of-use power stages at minimum PCB space
- MOTIX™ SBC: Enabling a unique level of system integration including supply, transceivers and motor driver for BDC and BLDC. The MOTIX™ Motor System IC is a tailored solution for automotive body applications increasing the value for customers and MOTIX™ 6EDL7141 for industrial BLDC motor control.
- MOTIX™ MCU: MOTIX™ Embedded Power ICs achieving an ultra-small footprint by an unmatched level of integration including an Arm® Cortex®-M CPU, supply, transceiver, and driver for < 1KW BDC and BLDC motor control in body, comfort, and thermal management applications
- iMOTION™ products integrate all required hardware and software functions for the control of three phase motors in industrial and consumer applications optionally including Power Factor Correction (PFC).
With built-in protection against undervoltage, overcurrent, and overtemperature, Infineon’s range of MOTIX™ BLDC Motor Driver ICs are designed for high-current motor drive applications up to 48V. Our integrated 3-phase BLDC motor driver ICs offer excellent efficiency and space savings, as well as built-in diagnostic and monitoring functions. Suitable for a wide range of applications including electric power steering, MHEV starter generator, active roll control, and other applications where high-current motor drives are required, Infineon’s automotive-qualified BLDC Motor Driver ICs offer gate voltages down to 5.5V supply and integrated load current measurement.
Infineon’s MOTIX™ Motor System IC is the world first automotive qualified IC to combine motor control (full-bridge and half-bridge motor gate drivers) with integrated power supply and CAN FD & LIN functionality.
The family features a multi-MOSFET driver in brushed DC 2x or 4x half-bridges pre-driver as well as a 3-Phase BLDC pre-driver configuration. The IC is complemented with a low-dropout voltage regulator of up to 250mA, CAN FD (5 Mbit/s), and LIN transceiver as well as well as high-side switches (7Ω typ.), wake inputs, and supervision features.
For Battery Supplied BLDC motor control applications such as cordless power tools, gardening products or automated guided vehicles Infineon offers MOTIX™ 6EDL7141.
Infineon’s Brushed DC Motor Driver ICs portfolio provides a wide range of high-performance solutions, scalable for various automotive applications depending on the required output current and preferred integration level:
- Advanced MOTIX™ multi MOSFET driver to drive up to 16 external MOSFETs with the state of the art protection features
- MOTIX™ Single-, multi-, and full-bridges, integrating driver stage and MOSFETs into one package with excellent diagnosis and protection features
- Innovative MOTIX™ DC Motor System ICs with integrated bridge driver, power supply and communication interfaces, e.g. LIN and CAN FD transceivers
Target automotive applications include but not limited to: power seat modules, power closure systems, HVAC control modules, decentralized mirror modules, T-Case, electronic parking brake, and fuel pumps.
Infineon’s range of Servo and Stepper Motor Drivers are part of our integrated low-current motor driver family. These products are offered with safety features as well as diagnostic capabilities capabilities. Depending on the product type, the safety features range from from basic protection against over-temperature to a full set of protection against open-load, overvoltage, under-voltage, over-temperature, and short-circuits.
The diagnostic capabilities range from a simple status flag to communication via a 16-bit SPI. Additionally, our range of Servo drivers includes protected H-bridge drivers that are designed for automotive applications such as headlight beam control.
Infineon’s MOTIX™ Embedded Power ICs are specifically designed to enable mechatronic motor control solutions for a broad range of brushed and brushless motor control applications, where a small package form factor and a minimum number of external components are essential, including but not limited to: window lift, sunroof, wiper, fuel pump, HVAC fans, engine cooling fan, and water pumps. Embedded Power ICs integrate on a single die the 32-bit microcontroller, the non-volatile flash memory, the analog and mixed signal peripherals, the communication interfaces along with the driving stages needed for either relay, half-bridge or full-bridge DC and BLDC motor applications.
iMOTION™ products are offered in several integration levels including hardware as well as software. The hardware integration comprises stand-alone motor controllers, motor controllers with integrated gate drivers (SmartDriver) and fully integrated inverters-in-a-package (SmartIPM). In terms of software, Infineon offers full turnkey solutions as well as freely programmable modules.
Infineon’s field proven Motion Control Engine (MCE) eliminates software coding from the motor control development process reducing the effort to the configuration for the respective motor and power stage.
The MCE implements highly efficient control of the motor and an optional power factor correction (PFC) and integrates all necessary protections and a flexible scripting engine. Assisted by powerful tools like the Solution Designer it is possible to have the motor up and running in less than an hour. Integrated support for functional safety for home appliances paves the way to meet regulations in the global market.