The EZ-PDTM CCG3 Power Bank reference design has a portable external battery which stores charge when connected to a charger and later delivers charge to an attached device. This solution has a USB Type-C receptacle which acts as a power source or sink (Dual Role Port) and a legacy USB Type-A receptacle which acts as a power source. The CCG3 with Arm Cortex M0 @ 48Mhz, 128KB Flash and sufficient GPIOs eliminates the need for an additional Microcontroller in the Power Bank design. The CCG3 CYPD3121-40LQXI has passed the USB-IF Test Procedures for USB Power Delivery Only Silicon. A PDF located at https://www.usb.org/kcompliance/ilist which highlights the certified PD Only Silicon product is available. (USB-IF login required for access)
The main features of this solution are:
- USB Type-C port acting as a source and sink supporting USB Power Delivery spec 3.0
- USB Type-A port acting as source supporting legacy charging protocols: BC v1.2, Quick Charge 3.0
- Provides up to 18W (12V@1.5A, 9V@2A, 5V@3A) on the Type-C port
- Supports 1-Cell battery configuration
- Supports firmware upgrade for CCG3: USB D+/- lines over Type-C port
- Low power during system standby mode (No devices connected)
- GPIOs to control LEDs and switches
The CCG3 fully supports the latest Power Delivery 3.0 specification. The CCG3 integrates USB Type-C, USB Power Delivery, Over Voltage and Over Current protection, and high-voltage regulator reducing the BOM cost. CCG3 device is available in 40-QFN package. Other major components in the design are MPS's MP2636 (Single Cell Battery Charger) and MP9184A (Boost Convertor).
Infineon has developed a reference schematic to enable customer to speed up their design and development cycle time. This reference design was developed using custom Li-Ion 18650 Battery: 3.6V 18.2Ah (66wh, 7A rate, 7S/S, ICR18650B4). Further battery details can be found here. The board hardware design files (schematic, bill of material, layout, etc), test report and FW hex file are available below.
CYPD3121 is available to order and comes with pre-programmed USB Bootloader. Need help? Ask a question and find answers in the Infineon Developer Community.