High-frequency half-bridge evaluation board featuring EiceDRIVER™ GaN
This 600V gallium nitride (GaN) half-bridge evaluation board enables easy and rapid setup as well as a test of CoolGaN™ transistors. The generic topology can be configured for boost or buck operation, pulse testing, or continuous full-power operation. Test points provide easy access to connect signals to an oscilloscope to measure the switching performance of CoolGaN™ transistors and gate drivers. This board saves the user from designing their own gate driver and power circuit to evaluate gallium nitride transistors.
The half-bridge circuit board features a single PWM input intended for the connection of a 50Ω pulse generator. The board is powered from a single 5V supply input, which powers everything, including the isolated gate driver power supplies. Deadtime between the high- and low-side is initially set to 100ns but is trimpot-adjustable. An external inductor can be connected using the supplied pluggable connector. The output and bus voltage can range up to 450V, limited by the capacitor rating. This half-bridge can switch continuous currents of 12A and peak currents of 35A, hard or soft-switching. Operating frequency can be up to several MHz, depending on transistor dissipation (limited to about 15W per device with appropriate heatsink and airflow).
Please note that this board is the successor of EVAL_1EDF_G1_HB_GAN.
Summary of Features
- Simple GaN half-bridge with dedicated GaN driver ICs
- Capable of multi-MHz switching frequencies
- Zero reverse-recovery – can shift between hard- or soft-switching
- GaN transistors feature top-side cooling for high power dissipation
- Easy setup and use
- Multiple configurations possible
- Evaluate high-frequency capabilities of GaN
- Evaluate waveforms with low ringing, overshoot, EMI
- Enables easy evaluation at multi-kilowatt power levels
Please be aware of the errata sheet.