ModusToolbox™ Software subcategories
ModusToolbox™ is what you need to get started with the IoT. It is a collection of easy-to-use software and tools enabling rapid development of Infineon MCUs, covering applications from embedded sense and control to wireless and cloud-connected systems using AIROC™ Wi-Fi, AIROC™ Bluetooth® and AIROC™ Wi-Fi and Combo devices.
Modern Development Experience
With ModusToolbox™, you don’t have to choose between closed, proprietary flows that struggle to keep pace with modern innovations and open platforms that fail to support the unique features and value of their target device.
ModusToolbox™ is the “best of both worlds” platform that delivers a wonderful development experience, increased productivity, and feature-rich, bullet-proof applications.
ModusToolbox™ was built to make your life easier and more efficient by removing development barriers and allowing you to deliver quality products to market faster.
Flexible Suite of Software and Tools
ModusToolbox™ accelerates the software development lifecycle without imposing a rigid, inflexible flow on engineering and validation teams. Unlike traditional IDE-centric approaches, ModusToolbox™ provides powerful standalone tools like our ground-breaking configurators and leaves the choice of compiler, editor, debugger, and revision control system up to you.
With our ready-to-use software components, code and applications, you can reduce the risk of errors. Even the traditionally tedious tasks of creating a new project and keeping software up-to-date are easy with the ModusToolbox™ Project Creator and Library Manager tools.
Middleware Libraries and Configurators
We've worked hard to make sure you have a great experience using ModusToolbox™, and it's the run-time software that delivers the real value to your application. Everything – board support packages, peripheral APIs, middleware and code examples - is hosted on Github and provided under an open source license. You can learn about the software by browsing the documentation in every library before you even install the tools.
Easy Development with Middleware Libraries and Configurators
ModusToolbox™ middleware makes it easy to access to the unique value of Infineon devices: the Configurators and Tuners make setting up the underlying hardware easy, simple and error-free. This combination of technologies provides a highly optimized implementation and intuitive programming interface to Infineon’s key technology areas.
- Cloud Connectivity – Native support for AIROC™ Wi-Fi, full network stack, and built-in support for leading cloud platforms
- Device Security – PSA and PKCS#11 libraries enable access to secure services provided by the Cortex-M0+ core in dual-core PSoC 64 Secure MCUs
- Network Security – TLS is built into the ModusToolbox™ connectivity libraries and made easy to use with a secure socket API
- Low Power Assist – Low Power Assist filters unnecessary wakeup events from the network on the connectivity device to keep the host MCU asleep and optimize power consumption
- CAPSENSE™ – The gold standard for mechanical button replacement, providing unmatched SNR and a self-calibrating baseline sensitivity algorithm
- Coexistence – Automatically balances the bandwidth load between Wi-Fi and Bluetooth communication using the Serial Enhanced Coexistence interface
- Bluetooth – AIROC™ Bluetooth is the industry’s most widely-used stack support Classic, Low Energy and Bluetooth Mesh operations
- Machine Learning – Software workflow for optimizing and deploying ML models, enabling rapid model benchmarking and validation and application-optimized Neural Net kernels
Modern Software Development Approach
ModusToolbox™ is all about making life easier for developers. From project creation to product deployment, ModusToolbox™ has labor-saving tools and utilities that form a complete development environment which can be integrated into established development flows or swapped out for preferred alternatives.
Modern, collaborative development practices require modern flows that can accommodate frequently updating software from multiple sources. ModusToolbox™ embraces the challenge with the unique Library Manager tool, which lets you browse for software that is compatible with your target device and select new libraries to add to your project. You can update existing libraries with new versions or add whole new sets of functionalities.
All the ModusToolbox™ libraries are supported by Library Manager and an easy-to-maintain manifest file is all that is required to include your own, or a colleague’s software package and get access to all the same convenient features. Use Library Manager to automatically update everything in your project to the latest version or choose specific versions for specific libraries. You simply select what you need and ModusToolbox™ makes all the requested changes for you.
Flexibility at Every Stage of Development
At its heart, ModusToolbox is an easy, hyper-flexible system that makes it possible to automate almost every step of your development process. Applications integrate seamlessly into continuous integration systems – automating the build, program and test cycles - without complex setup and constant maintenance. There are no proprietary file formats or build tools so it’s easy to track projects in revision control systems such as Git, Subversion, and Perforce. When you are ready to go to market, the secure tools package for PSoC™ 64 enables the creation of keys and certificates, signing of applications, and device provisioning with a scripting-ready set of tools that integrate directly into any automated programming system. Even toolchain choices are completely up to you, with all the popular compiler and IDE options supported.
ModusToolbox™ is all about making life easier for developers. Infineon’s configurator technology takes the guesswork and frustration out of peripheral initialization and project configuration. All configurators generate easily understood C code so you can see how the device gets set up and can safely modify the program flow if you need to.
Peripheral setup begins with the Device Configurator which gives you a graphical view of the core set of peripherals like clocks, pins, timers and communication blocks, with built-in error checking to make sure your selections are valid. Complementing that tool are the CAPSENSE™, Smart I/O and QSPI Configurators that are dedicated to helping you quickly unleash the famous PSoC™ device features.
In connected applications the Device Configurator also enables setup of the connectivity device, specifically with the configuration of Low Power Assist features for AIROC™ Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. The tool presents a very fine-grained view of the options so that application-specific choices can be made to fine-tune the power consumption in your project.
CAPSENSE™ Configuration Tool
CAPSENSE™ is a ModusToolbox™ specialty, and the CAPSENSE™ Configurator shows just how simple it is to configure widgets such as buttons, sliders, and touchpads without sweating the details of sensor arrangement, multiplexing, and position calculation. You choose the widgets you need and the tool guides you through the selection of pins for the sensors and generates all the code to make application development a breeze.
Industry-Leading Ecosystem Partners
For IoT applications the development experience options are as diverse as the applications themselves. No single ecosystem fits every use case and many developers already have preferred working environments and libraries of reusable code they do not wish to port. Often, the cloud management solutions go hand in hand with the development ecosystem.
At Infineon, we are committed to supporting our partner ecosystems – Matter and FreeRTOS – with the very same libraries that we provide with ModusToolbox™. Developers get the same power-sipping connectivity, industry-best HMI solutions, and access to our unique, labor-saving configurator technology.
ModusToolbox™ 2.4 is packed with new features and improvements to the user experience. Download and install the latest ModusToolbox Tools package from Infineon Developer Center.
Here is a summary of the release but more details are available in the Release Notes.
- ModusToolbox™ ML adds on-device model validation, size optimizations, and improved cycle accuracy.
- XMC™ projects now generate a .tgz file, ready to be uploaded to the XMC™ simulation tool.
- Eclipse IDE for ModusToolbox™ adds a handy command terminal and a shortcut to the application import option.
- OpenOCD is updated to support external serial memory flashing of PSoC™ 6 MCUs via the Serial Flash Discoverable Parameters (SFDP) standard.
- To improve the reliability of connections to target devices, tools such as Device Firmware Update (DFU) Host tool and CAPSENSE™ Tuner now share a single copy of KitProg3 firmware instead of shipping with private copies.
- Applications are now categorized into groups in Project Creator.
- The GCC toolchain we package with ModusToolbox™ is upgraded to version 10.3.
- All run-time libraries on GitHub have been safely and seamlessly migrated from cypresssemiconductorco to the infineon account.
Under normal operation, ModusToolbox™ accesses run-time content - Code Examples, Middleware and Board Support Packages – from the Infineon GitHub account. Recognizing that persistent Internet access is not always possible, we have created a downloadable package for offline use. We continue to recommend working with the online content when you can - so you always have access to the latest software - but this is a useful alternative way of working for users who are frequently working offline. Installation instructions are provided in this Cypress community Resource Library article and the installable package (zip file) is available here: modustoolbox-offline-content.
ModusToolbox™ software training contains a set of modular, in-depth classes that include comprehensive hands-on exercises. These classes offer different levels so that you can learn about a topic quickly and build upon your knowledge as your needs evolve. Currently available classes include Level 1 Getting Started, Level 2 PSoC™ MCUs, and Level 3 Bluetooth®. Check back often because we will add more classes over time, such as Wi-Fi, Machine Learning, and Motor Control.