Battery pack monitoring
Maximize performance and protect passengers with our innovative battery pack monitoring solution for automotive batteries, detecting thermal runaway and monitoring for safe and efficient operation
Infineon's Battery Management System (BMS) solutions provide comprehensive fault detection and monitoring capabilities to ensure passenger protection and compliance with safety regulations such as Global Transportation Regulation 20 (GTR20).
Automotive batteries offer exceptional performance and safety standards, owing to their well-designed and rigorously manufactured components. Despite the low likelihood of failure events such as thermal runaway or insulation loss, it is crucial to equip vehicles with reliable detection mechanisms to alert the occupants in the event of a failure.
Infineon’s fault detection solutions include the functionalities below:
Thermal runaway detection:
- ambient sensing with automotive-grade XENSIVTMsolutions (e.g: pressure, smoke, etc.)
- cell over-temperature and under-voltage monitoring with accurate cell monitoring ICs
- cost-efficient electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) solutions for early and deep-in-cell damage detection
Battery disconnection monitoring:
- relay state (e.g. open or close)
- relay armature position detection
- loss of high-voltage domain isolation detection
Over-current detection (OCD):
- reliable and ultra-fast OCD detection using automotive-grade XENSIVTMsolutions