USB power delivery
For convenient, lightning-fast charging
After premiering in the mid-1990s, USB quickly became the bus of choice for quick data communication. Today, it’s evolved to also provide power, which is known as USB power delivery (USB PD). USB PD is a fast charge protocol for a wide range of devices. Because USB PD supports an output power of up to 100 watts, it can be used to charge a broad spectrum of battery-powered electronics. This benefits consumers, in particular, because they can use just one lightening-fast charger for their laptops, tablet, smartphones and other devices.
System diagram: USB power delivery
Opportunities and challenges for USB PD
While USB power delivery offers many pluses, designers face some hurdles in creating top USB PD designs. Most crucially, USB power delivery protocol requires significantly higher power levels. At the same time, consumers prefer chargers and adapters with a small form factor. Thus designers must find the semiconductor solutions that accommodate high power density while appropriately addressing thermal management and potential EMI issues. Despite large production volumes, consumers need peace of mind that their charger will work reliably. As a consumer good, performance must also be finely balanced with overall system cost.
USB power density solutions from Infineon
In Infineon’s broad portfolio of high-quality semiconductor solutions, you’ll find what’s required for your USB power density designs. For example, achieve higher power density and reduce power loss and thermal dissipation with our lower RDS(on) high-voltage and low-voltage power MOSFETs.
Choose Infineon and enjoy:
- Lower costs. Our leading-edge chip technologies and packages reduce external costs, such as for thermal management.
- Lowest power loss. Thanks to lower RDS(on) and parasitic parameters.
- Highest power density. With low power loss and innovative packages.
- A one-stop shop. We offer the most important semiconductors for USB PD, a big time saver.
- High quality. Our PPM failure rates is below 0.2.
- Large production capacity. In our 3 front-end sites and over 5 back-end plants for power MOSFETs.
Explore our portfolio of state-of-the-art CoolMOS™, OptiMOS™ and StrongIRFET components to find the right semiconductors for your USB power delivery design.