43W high power factor flyback converter with constant voltage output based on ICL8820
The REF_ICL8820_LED_43W_JT is a 43W reference design featuring Infineon’s flyback controller ICL8820. The board is a constant voltage (CV) secondary-side regulated (SSR) system and is intended to be used with a constant current (CC) converter for LED lighting applications.
Two-stage topologies are growing because of the convenient scalability of power on the primary side as well as of the features on the secondary side. REF_ICL8820_LED_43W_JT is designed as plug- and-play solution.
As a default setup, the reference design board is assembled with a start-up circuit based on a depletion-mode MOSFET BSS126I on a very small adapter board. This setup offers the lowest standby losses. If low standby consumption is not necessary as an option, the start-up circut can be changed to a resistive start-up.
This reference design is provided with two regulation circuits. Both circuits are designed as plug and play solutions, but at least one has to be connected to the main board.
The two boards shall show the trade-off between cost; here the TL431 board offers a low-cost solution, and standby performance, while the op-amp board shows an overall 30mW better performance.
With its benchmarking performance in power factor and total harmonic distortion at full-load as well as at low-load conditions ICL8820 enables window drivers and platform designs. Furthermore, the IC combines optimum efficiency and low EMI without compromising light quality.
Being the fully-featured variant of the ICL88xx family, ICL8820 is the perfect fit for on-off LED drivers, low dimming down to 0.1% including dim-to-off. Additionally equipped with an integrated burst mode and jitter function, the controller enables a very low stand-by power < 100mW. The built-in jitter function eases EMI certification without additional circuitry. Thus, ICL8820 is perfect for smart lighting and additionally eases the design of emergency lighting LED drivers at low cost and effort.
For primary-side regulation of the single-stage flyback LED controller-family ICL88xx, choose REF_ICL8810_LED_42W_PSR.
- Constant voltage (CV) secondary-side regulated (SSR) reference design for LED lighting applications
- ICL8820 provides integrated burst mode for very low stand-by power < 100mW and built-in jitter function for easy EMI certification without additional circuitry
- Power factor (PF) > 0.9 and THD < 10% across a wide load range (AC input up to 277Vrms)
- Maximum AC input voltage 90 – 305Vrms
- Critical conduction mode and quasi-resonant mode with smart valley hopping
- Best-fit topology for smart LED drivers with minimum dimming levels down to 0.1% and dim-to-off
- Enables smart lighting and emergency lighting
- Two-stage topology combines scalability with numerous features
- High light quality
- Cost effective and bottom-up design
- Flexibility and low BOM for many applications
Modular lighting boards
At Infineon we offer a broad variety of primary side ACDC and secondary side DCDC boards dedicated to LED lighting. The LED lighting boards can easily be stacked together for plug-and-play solutions.
List of Components