Fighting Payment Card Fraud in the US with Chip Card Technology
With recent incidents at major US retailers leading to breaches in merchant databases effecting up to 20% of US consumers, public attention to EMV has never been higher. EMV is based on smart chip card technology, which effectively embeds a tiny computer into the payment card. Security features of EMV enabled by smart chips can include card authentication, risk management parameters that establish conditions for card use, digital signing to assure the integrity of transactions, and cardholder verification to protect against use of counterfeited, lost or stolen cards. Long lasting security is a key element to protect the stakeholder´s investment. The range of possible attacks is steadily increasing and becoming more sophisticated.
Not All Smart Card Chips are Equal
The security chip embedded inside the payment card makes a difference in your EMV implementation. Selecting the right security controller does more than yield the best possible risk management solution for this element of the system. All Infineon security chips use EMVCo-certified SOLID FLASH™, instead of the conventional and outdated ROM technology. Dual Interface solutions also include the innovative and award winning "Coil on Module" (CoM) package technology which uses a radio frequency link rather than a physical connection between the card antenna and the module.
Together with Infineon´s 25 years of experience in the chip security market, these features bring the following benefits:
- Better fraud management thanks to long lasting security concepts.
- Higher resistance to attacks than out dated ROM Technology
Durability and Robustness
- Higher resistance of Dual Interface cards to mechanical stress, and enhanced ESD robustness
- Shortest development and production lead-times for all type of cards, and especially for Dual Interface cards.
- Flexibility in the logistics of procuring cards, evaluating and deploying applications and bringing new applications to the field without costly changes in the production process.
- Optimization of production tools and processes; CoM allows contact-based and Dual Interface cards to be produced with the same equipment and process and help significantly reduce yield losses during manufacturing and personalization
- Faster personalization, so the card issuer can issue large numbers of cards quickly, with less investment in equipment.
A comprehensive product range to meet all needs and requirements
Trusted by all major payment market players, our proven offering, Macchiato, covers the entire SDA, DDA/CDA and Dual Interface application spectrum with a single and unique microcontroller family - the SLE77.
- Fully certified products, Visa ® and MasterCard ® approvals
- VSDC and M/Chip applets on the same chip
- High performance and field proven Java Card OS (JC 2.2.1) and GlobalPlatform 2.1.1 compliant
- High-speed 16-bit/33Mhz processor
- EMVCo approved SOLID FLASH™ SLE 77 chip family
Infineon your partner for today and the future
Choosing the right chip technology for your EMV projects will help you achieve or exceed your security objectives, meet your development and production deadlines, maximize your customer satisfaction and minimize your development and production costs. Smart Card IC Leader for 14 consecutive years, Infineon is also a top supplier to the US EMV migration and has shipped over 40 million smart card ICs to US customers for the EMV.