Controlling access to complex networks
Authentication is the process of identifying users, computers, devices and machines in networks and restricting access to authorized persons and non-manipulated devices. Authentication processes typically rely on usernames and passwords, which are not particularly secure, require frequent changing and do not work with unattended devices. Cryptographic mechanisms are a more robust way of securing communication over the Internet of Things. Particularly for embedded systems, where security demands are rising to protect against counterfeiting, firmware tampering and illegal access, strong cryptography is the only way to fulfill today’s needs.
Hardware-based security can support authentication by providing secure storage for a device’s credentials (cryptographic keys or passwords). These credentials can be released to the microcontroller for authentication or – even better – a security processor can authenticate the device or user by checking the credentials without releasing them beyond the confines of the security processor.
Building a root of trust
We have developed a broad portfolio of products that build a root of trust in hardware devices to validate device integrity and protect encryption keys and credentials in machine-to-machine environments, embedded systems and mobile environments. Customers also rely on our brand protection solutions to safeguard assets against counterfeiting. In embedded environments, for instance, our OPTIGA Trust family and OPTIGA™ TPM provide powerful mutual verification and authentication functionality.
Benefits at a glance
- Robust device and network security combined with ease of management for end users
- New business opportunities in security-sensitive markets such as industrial automation and smart homes
- Avoidance of embarrassing data breaches as a result of weak authentication
- Strong anti counterfeiting and anti-tampering capabilities
- Reduced risk of fraud and theft of service as only properly authorized and paid-for devices can use subscription services.
Videos: IoT security demonstrations
Experience our broad range of demonstrations including the embedded security solutions of our OPTIGA™ product family