Faced with constant price pressure and ever-stricter energy standards, the demand for increased cost and energy-efficiency of induction motors is constantly growing. Infineon responds to your need to be – and stay – competitive with its complete portfolio of highly-efficient, cost-effective semiconductor solutions and motor control application kits. Boasting excellent figures of merit and with a selection of intelligent software capabilities to choose from. From white goods to industrial applications, we have your induction motor needs covered. See additional motor control applications here in Home & Building and Industrial Automation.
Induction motors are the most common kind of motor used in commercial production. It can be viewed as an AC transformer with a rotating secondary winding. The current in the rotor windings is induced from the current in the stator windings, avoiding the need for a direct connection from the power source to the rotating windings.
Example Application for Induction Motor Control and Drives (discrete)
Key Characteristics Induction Motor
- Asynchronous: rotor and driving frequency can be different
- Low maintenance, high durability
- Magnet-free: coil windings make up the rotor and stator
- No brushes needed: current from supply to the stator coils induces a field on the rotor cage or coils
- No controller necessary for single speed and predictable load operation
- Fit with Variable Frequency Drives (VFD) for improved control and efficiency