The Battery Managements Systems (BMS) controls battery charge and discharge. An intelligent battery management system is necessary to lengthen battery life, which reduces the vehicle cost over its entire lifetime. The system constantly controls the functionality and charge of the battery cells. As they age, the storage capacity of the individual battery cells may lessen. The challenge is to optimize cell utilization. Circuits to test the cells, and active balancing of the cells during the charging and discharging process enable the battery life and range to be effectively lengthened. Infineon’s solution for active cell balancing increases usable battery capacity by at least 10 percent. The company’s microcontrollers and sensors monitor functionality, charge and depth of discharge. These include the 32-bit TriCore™ AURIX™ microcontroller family , the OptiMOS™ low-voltage MOSFETs, the TLE 6250/51 CAN transceivers as well as the TLE 6389-2GV and the TLE 42994GM voltage regulators.
- ISO 26262 ASIL-C/D (for AURIX™)
- Active & passive balancing
- IBCB network architecture
- Ring topology in event of failure
- Very accurate measurement paths for voltage and temperature
- Balancing & monitoring over long parking period (passive balancing)
- Fast balancing up to 5A (Active balancing)