Telematics control unit
Proceed with confidence
Telematics helps keep driver and passengers safer, provides real-time directions and re-routing in case of a traffic jam, auto dials an emergency number if a vehicle is in an accident, and so much more. The heart and soul of the automotive technology is an embedded hardware and software system, the telematics control unit.
By wirelessly connecting a car to its surroundings and beyond, typically via a cellular modem, the telematics control unit sources or exchanges information from or with other systems, respectively. This in turn enables a growing number of sophisticated and useful in-car capabilities and features that appeal to today’s consumers and open up new business models and revenue streams for companies. A few well-known examples of telematics-based functions in cars include:
- Updates over the air
- Automatic collision notification
- Emergency assistance
- Roadside assistance
- Vehicle diagnostics
- Local search
- Traffic and weather info
The list is constantly expanding to cover further aspects of safety, infotainment and more.
System diagram: Telematics control unit
New abilities, new challenges
The telematics control unit presents designers with range of challenges to overcome in the design process. These range from equipping their project with the right interfaces to providing a suitable safety and security concept, to optimizing power consumption and the system BOM. Infineon is ready to help you successfully take on any challenge that comes your way.
Telematics control unit solutions from Infineon
As the global market leader in security microcontrollers for 15 consecutive years and with over 40 years of experience in the automotive sector, Infineon offers a broad portfolio of cost-effective semiconductor solutions for every telematics control unit design. Benefit from our proven security solutions and comprehensive system expertise in use cases such as:
- Vehicle-to-cloud communication
- Vehicle-to-vehicle/vehicle-to-infrastructure communication
- Secure onboard communication
- Consumer device integration
Explore our product portfolio now to find the right components for your telematics control unit project.
- Scalable high-performance AURIX™ family from single to multicore (PRO-SIL™)
- Secure external interfaces with trusted security implemented via on-chip HSM (Hardware Security Module)
- Dedicated microcontroller HW support for CAN, CAN FD and Ethernet
- Network transceiver supporting CAN and CAN FD
- Optimized tailored safety system power supply
- Encryption support for central car storage
- Ethernet up to 1 GB
- CAN FD
- Safety/security concept
- Different security solutions according to custom requirements
- ISO 26262 compliance
- Hardware security on different levels
- Power consumption
- On-chip SC DC-DC high-efficiency power supply
- Stand-by control unit for lowest quiescent current
- System BOM view
- RF components for frontend optimizations
Join our free webinar "Security solutions for today’s connected car"
Battery Management for Electric Verhicles
Solutions for Small Electric Vehicles
Powertrain System Part 1
Powertrain System Part 2
BLDC Motor Control
Brushed DC Motors
Stepper Motor Control
AC Induction Motors
Find an answer to your question
Technical Assistance Center (TAC)
Infineon welcomes your comments and questions.
If you have any questions concerning our products, please fill out the following form. Your inquiry will be sent to the appropriate specialist who will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
You will receive a confirmation E-mail to validate your address in our system. Any attached file to the reply which will help to support your inquiry is highly appreciated.